[comp.lang.postscript] LaserWriter PS versions

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (10/31/90)

About two weeks ago I posted the following question to
comp.sys.mac.hardware:

> What is the difference between PostScript version 38.0 (2) and
> 42.2 (3)?  We've got LaserWriter Pluses with both.

I did not get a single answer!

I found part of an answer myself, though. In MacWorld, April '89, p. 217,
Lon Poole writes that Apple switched to PostScript version 47 in October
1987 and that, "Apple claims that version 47 constructs fonts up to 25
percent faster and processes bitmapped images up to 40 percent faster than
version 38."

He also says that 2.0 (supposedly talking about the number that appears on
the startup page) corresponds to version 38 and 3.0 to version 47.

However, in our LW Pluses it corresponds to 42.2.  So that opens the
question, what is the difference between 38.0 and 42.2 on the one hand and
42.2 and 47.0 on the other hand?

Also when extracting information from a printer, CE Software's Widgets
reports version 47.0 (1) for a IINT and a IINT which was upgraded to a
IINTX, and 51.8 (3) for a IINTX sold as such.

What do the numbers in parentheses really stand for? And what is the
difference between 47.0 and 51.8?

I called Adobe Technical Support. The technician on the phone did not
know, but tried hard and finally came back with the answer that these
versions are functionally identical--which didn't really answer my
question.

Will anyone have pitty and give me the answer, or at least point me to an
available reference where I can look it up, please.
I don't read comp.lang.postscript regularly. Please e-mail me a copy of
your reply. Your help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.010343.8464@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov
(Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
> What is the difference between PostScript version 38.0 (2) and
> 42.2 (3)?  We've got LaserWriter Pluses with both.

The main user-visible difference that I know of is that 42.2 includes
new versions of the fonts to support ISO 8859/1 encoding (which needs
several character glyphs that are not present in earlier PostScript
fonts).  I assume that it also contains bugs fixes and/or speedups,
since it is a more recent version of PostScript.

>What do the numbers in parentheses really stand for?

The numbers in parentheses are Apple's revision numbers for the ROM sets
themselves.  The ##.# numbers are Adobe's version numbers for the PostScript
interpreters that are contained in the ROMs.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda