[comp.lang.postscript] ScreenTest 1.0

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (10/31/90)

>Oh, BTW, I found that the extract program, scrntst.ps, does not work properly.
>After the first two pages (one prints shaded squares and one prints a shaded
>pie), it bombs out after the line of squares on the third page saying that
>there is a typecheck error in setgray. I glanced at the code but can't seem
>to find anything wrong (this doesn't mean anything since I am no PostScript
>expert). Anyone has this problem too or it was just me? Also I think
>scrndoc.ps bombs at some point too.

I've printed the original I received from Margo on my LJ IIP with HP/Adobe
PostScript cartridge without errors. It's possible the file got munged, I'd
be happy to repost if everyone has problems. All I can say is that my original
works 100% using an Adobe interpreter.

PS: My choice of .ZOO was to target the widest possible audience on variou
machines. Would ARC or ZIP have been better?

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (10/31/90)

In article <35408@cup.portal.com> schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) writes:
>>Oh, BTW, I found that the extract program, scrntst.ps, does not work properly.
>>After the first two pages (one prints shaded squares and one prints a shaded
>>pie), it bombs out after the line of squares on the third page saying that
>>there is a typecheck error in setgray. I glanced at the code but can't seem
>>to find anything wrong (this doesn't mean anything since I am no PostScript
>>expert). Anyone has this problem too or it was just me? Also I think
>>scrndoc.ps bombs at some point too.
>
>I've printed the original I received from Margo on my LJ IIP with HP/Adobe
>PostScript cartridge without errors. It's possible the file got munged, I'd
>be happy to repost if everyone has problems. All I can say is that my original
>works 100% using an Adobe interpreter.
>
>PS: My choice of .ZOO was to target the widest possible audience on variou
>machines. Would ARC or ZIP have been better?

I would like to apologize to Micheal about my previous posting. It DOES come
out fine on my Appler LaserWriter. All I can say is that I have a pretty
sloppy PostScript viewer :-)

Andy
Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.utoronto.BITNET

doug@sis.uucp (doug berry) (10/31/90)

ScreenTest unpacked without error here.  I've printed the docs,
and run the test.  I did need to strip trailing ^M's from each line
on the test file 'tho.

Thanks for the code!
--

  uucp:  ...{utzoo,yunexus}!sis!doug            phone: +1 416 338 4506
  else:      doug%sis@nexus.yorku.ca

ric@rioja.ifs.umich.edu (Richard Campbell) (11/01/90)

Many thanks to Margo Schulter and PC Scriptorium
(whoever they are) for the fascinating and educational
ScreenTest PostScript programs and documentation.
This is exactly the kind of stuff for which I read
comp.lang.postscript and indeed all of netnews, usually in vain.

Will we be seeing more, Ms. Schulter?

ric

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (11/01/90)

>Many thanks to Margo Schulter and PC Scriptorium
>(whoever they are) for the fascinating and educational
>ScreenTest PostScript programs and documentation.
>This is exactly the kind of stuff for which I read
>comp.lang.postscript and indeed all of netnews, usually in vain.
>
>Will we be seeing more, Ms. Schulter?

Despite the similarity of names, and the fact that I posted the code here,
I am not the author ... but have been in touch with Ms. Schulter from
time to time. Unfortunately Margo does not have (to my knowledge) netmail
capability. She participates in the DTP echo conference on the Fidonet
BBS network, and logs on from a BBS in Sacramento. I've tried sending
here =FIDO= net mail and she hasn't received it, so a Usenet-to-Fido
link from her BBS would seem hopeless.

Knowing this, I got the original on diskette from her and asked if she had
any problems with redistribution. She indicated that there are =no=
intended limitations, and that I could post the code wherever I wanted to.
So up it went here, and in the PostScript conference on GEnie.

In short: I'll relay your kind words back to her, but for anything more, please
contact the author directly. I'm sure she'll be delighted to hear from you all.

PS: Apologies for the choice of ZOO and for the ^M's in the uuencode. My fault.
    Since Portal does not allow shell access, I did all of this at home on my
    MSDOS system, and accidentally invoked the "MS-DOS compatible" switch on
    UUENCODE.