[comp.lang.postscript] nroff to postscript?

tcheng@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Tony C. Cheng) (12/19/89)

Does anyone out there can tell me where I can find PD program(s) that
can convert Nroff files to PostScript ones?

Thanks./_Tony C. Cheng

  Tony C. Cheng / Computer Consultant  |  tcheng@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
  University Computing Service         |  tcheng@aqua.ucs.indiana.edu
---------------------- INDIANA UNIVERSITY, BLOOMINGTON ----------------------

jmiller@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Miller) (11/02/90)

Please forgive if this has been asked before.

I am looking for a package to convert nroff documents to postscript for printing
on a LaserWriter IINTX.   I am interested mainly in printing UNIX manual pages.

I have tried things like "nroff -man whatever.l | text2ps > whatever.ps" but
the results are not quite acceptable. "text2ps" is a simple text to postscript
converter; I have also tried the "lwf" program.

Any help/pointers/suggestions will be very much appreciated.  Reply by mail
will be fine unless you think it would be of general interest.

Thank you.
Jim Miller
--
/* Jim Miller                     * Internet: jmiller@wendy.bgsu.edu        *
 * Computer Technician            * UUCP: ...!osu-cis!bgsuvax!wendy!jmiller *

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (11/05/90)

In article <6504@bgsuvax.UUCP> jmiller@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Miller) writes:

Jim> Please forgive if this has been asked before.

Jim> I am looking for a package to convert nroff documents to postscript for printing
Jim> on a LaserWriter IINTX.   I am interested mainly in printing UNIX manual pages.

Jim> I have tried things like "nroff -man whatever.l | text2ps > whatever.ps" but
Jim> the results are not quite acceptable. "text2ps" is a simple text to postscript
Jim> converter; I have also tried the "lwf" program.

Jim> Any help/pointers/suggestions will be very much appreciated.  Reply by mail
Jim> will be fine unless you think it would be of general interest.

Get the groff package from the Free Software Foundation.  It is a freely
redistributable version of the DWB.  It can be retirved via anonymous ftp
from prep.ai.mit.edu and is found in the /u/emacs directory in the file
groff.0.6-tar.Z.

-- Dan Ehrlich
--
Dan Ehrlich - Sr. Systems Programmer - Penn State Computer Science
<ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/07/90)

In article <Fe_qf+$2@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>In article <6504@bgsuvax.UUCP> jmiller@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Miller) writes:
>> I am looking for a package to convert nroff documents to postscript for
>>printing on a LaserWriter IINTX.

>Get the groff package from the Free Software Foundation.  It is a freely
>redistributable version of the DWB.  It can be retirved via anonymous ftp
>from prep.ai.mit.edu and is found in the /u/emacs directory in the file
>groff.0.6-tar.Z.

I made this mistake once before by responding with psroff/troff....
Just in case it matters:

You have three choices:
    1) Use nroff and a filter that converts from ASCII to postscript,
       but in addition converts backspace/overstrike stuff into bold
       or italics.  The output is in courier only.  I have one.  Send
       me mail.
    2) If you have "CAT" troff on your system (if you get "Typesetter
       busy" from invoking troff you have CAT Troff), use psroff.  This
       gives high quality output, but may be overkill.
    3) If you want high quality output (rather than "just" courier),
       but you don't have CAT troff, get groff.  May be overkill too.
    4) (so I lied) buy DWB (Softquad/Elan/AT&T etc.).
    5) (I lied again) If you have troff, but it ain't "CAT", get tpscript
       (comp.sources.unix vol 15)...
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: TBA
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis