[comp.lang.postscript] LZR 1260 Drums

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (11/09/90)

In article <KINDRED.90Nov6103531@telesci.telesci.UUCP>, kindred@telesci.telesci.UUCP (David L Kindred (Dave)) writes:
> A note to other LZR 1260 users:
>

> Is there a company that recycles the Drum Assembly?  It seems like far
> too much hardware to toss in a landfill.
It it a selinium drum, or an OPC (steely blue gray metalic or plastic
looking surface?)

> Has anyone figured out how to override the Drum Expiration "feature"?

If it is anything like the Kyocera drum, there is a "fuse" in the assembly.
I'm not sure whether it is a counter, or just what it is.  I'd like to
tear one apart and see.  It might be something like one of the Dallas
Semiconductor e2rom parts.  In any case, it probably causes a contact
to short together, or else breaks a contact.  either way, it should be
possible to jumper around it.  One would have to sacrifice a spent
drum unit, and take some time, but I am certain it can be done.

I'd take a crack at it if I had a drum.
I hate companies trying to impose limits on people.
Especially if it is just to generate revenue.
Cheers
Woody