[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript Calendar Program

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (11/07/90)

I use and love the calendar program that was posted here a while back
but being in Europe, I find that many people refer to week numbers
when they setup meetings.  I suspect that it would be a trivial (easy
for me to say :-)) modification to the program to have it print the
week number in say the Sunday block.  Any takers on this?
Thanks again for a really useful program.
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

bruce@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (Bruce McLaughlin) (11/08/90)

In article <1667@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>                     I find that many people refer to week numbers
>when they setup meetings.  I suspect that it would be a trivial (easy
>for me to say :-)) modification to the program to have it print the
>week number in say the Sunday block.  Any takers on this?

And to request yet another bell and/or whistle...
how about including Day-Of-Year (DOY) (i.e., 1-36[56]) somewhere in
small type, say in the upper right corner of each day?  That would
please me no end!
I agree that it's a wonderful little utility!  Many thanks!

--
Bruce McLaughlin   (bruce@beowulf.jpl.nasa.gov)

news@root.fiu.edu (11/08/90)

As long as features are being requested:  How about adding an option
to print a full six weeks per page without changing pages at a month
break.  The top line of the first page should be the current week
and the bottom line being five weeks after the current line.  The
month should be printed in small print in each day.

d89mb@efd.lth.se (Magnus Bodin) (11/08/90)

How is the international (ISO) standard? Or the ASA?

Here in Sweden, we start off the week with Monday, making the weekends go at the real end of the week so to speak.

The Swedish standard (SIS-standard) for weeknumbering is that week #1 is the first week that contains at least 4 days from the new year. That can result in
#1-weeks that stick in to the preceding year and of course #53 at the end of the year. A week is defined as a 7-day period Mon-Sun...

Takelr|

--
Magnus Bodin               "Nec fasces, nec opes,
Institute of Tychology,     sola artis sceptra perennant"

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (11/09/90)

> How is the international (ISO) standard? Or the ASA?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is ASA?

> Here in Sweden, we start off the week with Monday, making the
> weekends go at the real end of the week so to speak.

I always thought the Saturday and Sunday were called the "weekend"
because the were the first and last days of the week. You know the
two ENDS? If your first day of the week is Monday, the Sunday and
Monday would be the ends, Saturday is somewhere between the ends.

I know that this doesn't belong here, but what the heck, it's Friday
and I leave for ComDEX soon and will not be reading the flames.

Clancy Malloy
att!ihlpf!cem

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (11/11/90)

In a recent article freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:

>I always thought the Saturday and Sunday were called the "weekend"
>because the were the first and last days of the week. You know the
>two ENDS? If your first day of the week is Monday, the Sunday and
>Monday would be the ends, Saturday is somewhere between the ends.

And I always thought that Saturday and Sunday were called the "weekend"
because they were and the end of the week, hence the "weekend". Silly
me. Silly ISO. Now I and the ISO knows better.

Flames to /dev/null please.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se