[comp.lang.postscript] Printing startup page on Laserwriters

bgonderm@nmsu.edu (Bryan Gondermger) (11/06/90)

Does anyone know how to get Apple LaserWriters (plus, NT, NTX) to
print the startup page on demand?  What we'd like to do is send some
PostScript code to the printer to generate it.  Note that power
cycling the printer is not an ideal solution since we have the
printers captured by a print spooler.  Any suggestions?

Bryan Gonderinger
bgonderm@nmsu.edu
|                 Bryan Gonderinger     bgonderm%nmsu.edu                     |
|               Network Programming     Box 30001, Dept. 3AT                  |
|    Computer Center, Small Systems     Las Cruces, New Mexico                |
|       New Mexico State University     88003                                 |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (11/08/90)

In article <BGONDERM.90Nov6085513@dante.nmsu.edu>, bgonderm@nmsu.edu (Bryan Gondermger) writes:
> Does anyone know how to get Apple LaserWriters (plus, NT, NTX) to
> print the startup page on demand?  What we'd like to do is send some
Well, you could restart the printer.  I think that quit might do it.
There is however, an entry in one of the builtin dictionaries
I don't remember which one.  Try this:
in interactive mode, using a terminal program, type in
executive <cr>
you should be given a prompt

turn on you ascii capture, and do
/serverdict load {== ==} forall
/statusdict load {== ==} forall
/$printerdict load {== ==} forall
/systemdict load {== ==} forall

Look through the resulting captured text.  You are looking for a routine
titled startpage or something similar.  You can execute that routine and
get a startup page.
cheers
Woody

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (11/08/90)

In article <BGONDERM.90Nov6085513@dante.nmsu.edu>, bgonderm@nmsu.edu (Bryan Gondermger) writes:

    *  Does anyone know how to get Apple LaserWriters (plus,
    *  NT, NTX) to print the startup page on demand?  What
    *  we'd like to do is send some PostScript code to the
    *  printer to generate it.  Note that power cycling the
    *  printer is not an ideal solution since we have the
    *  printers captured by a print spooler.  Any suggestions?

Here's a PostScript program that works on a IINTX.

==========================  cut here  =======================================
	%!PS
	startpage
	showpage
==========================  cut here  =======================================

Don't know what this would do on (say) a Linotronic, or a Display
PostScript server -- it may be specific to the Apple LaserWriter.

	........  Henry

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (11/09/90)

In article <BGONDERM.90Nov6085513@dante.nmsu.edu> bgonderm@nmsu.edu (Bryan Gondermger) writes:
>Does anyone know how to get Apple LaserWriters (plus, NT, NTX) to
>print the startup page on demand?  What we'd like to do is send some
>PostScript code to the printer to generate it.  Note that power
>cycling the printer is not an ideal solution since we have the
>printers captured by a print spooler.  Any suggestions?

    Here is some code which should work on most printers:

serverdict begin   % this is where the startpage operator lives
userdict begin    % serverdict is readonly and startpage needs some
		% dictionary space to do its thing
startpage	% create the start page
showpage	% show the page
end end		% end userdict, end serverdict

I'm sure there are printers out there which this won't work on but
it should on most.

Hope this helps,
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (11/13/90)

>> Does anyone know how to get Apple LaserWriters (plus, NT, NTX) to
>> print the startup page on demand?  What we'd like to do is send some
>There is however, an entry in one of the builtin dictionaries
>I don't remember which one.  Try this:
>in interactive mode, using a terminal program, type in
>executive <cr>
>you should be given a prompt
>

>turn on you ascii capture, and do
>/serverdict load {== ==} forall
>/statusdict load {== ==} forall
>/$printerdict load {== ==} forall
>/systemdict load {== ==} forall
>
>Look through the resulting captured text.  You are looking for a routine
>titled startpage or something similar.  You can execute that routine and
>get a startup page.

I tried this on my HP PostScript cartridge, but couldn't find it. Predictably,
the program
	startpage
	showpage
suggested here produced an undefined error for --startpage--.

Interestingly, there were other "dict" tokens mixed in with the resulting
text: --secretdict--, --internaldict--, and --$idleTimeDict--. None
of these could be accessed, however - they produced either undefined or
invalidaccess errors.