[comp.lang.postscript] C & postscript

paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) (10/31/90)

Hi,
I'm looking for a C library of functions that can assist in
the generation of postscript output. Does anyone know of anything
available commercially or otherwise that is worth looking at?

btw, I'm talking TC on a PC.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

     /\/\       Paul Gallagher, PC Support Officer,
    / / /\      Computer Systems Group,
   / / /  \     BHP Melbourne Research Laboratories
  / / / /\ \    245 Wellington Rd Mulgrave Vic 3170 AUSTRALIA
  \ \/ / / /    Phone : +61-3-560-7066,  Fax : +61-3-561-6709
   \  / / /     ACSnet  :  paulg@bhpmrl.OZ.AU
    \/\/\/

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (11/01/90)

In article <1668@merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au> paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) writes:
>Hi,
>I'm looking for a C library of functions that can assist in
>the generation of postscript output. Does anyone know of anything
>available commercially or otherwise that is worth looking at?
>
>btw, I'm talking TC on a PC.

Adobe does offer a course called "Generic Driver" which explains how to
generate efficient PostScript language code. A technical paper describing
the Generic Text Interface of the driver and source code will be available
on our server within a few months. Below is a extract from the technical
paper.

"While not a full-blown PostScript printer driver, the Generic Text
Interface does handle the difficult problems associated with writing the
text handling portion of a PostScript printer driver.  Most notably, this
means handling dynamic font downloading and the associated memory management
problems.  The Generic PostScript Text Interface can be used as a basis for
an efficient PostScript driver that supports more functionality than many
existing drivers.

Also included with the source code for the driver itself is a sample program
called lotest which illustrates how to call the driver to generate efficient
PostScript output.  Additionally included are several pieces of source code
that may be used to help support text output on a PostScript device, such
as an AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) file parser."

In order to register for this course, please call Marci Eversole at
1-415-962-4912.

Carl 8-)

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) (11/13/90)

I just got some literature in the mail from Fleming Software
(phone/fax (703)591-6451) that describes a Borland BGI
interface for generating PostScript from Turbo C using the
standard graphics library.  I don't know how well it works;
when I need to generate PostScript from C, I just use printf. :-)

Ken (shiva@well.sf.ca.us)