[comp.lang.postscript] 8-bits color bitmap in postscript

DEMOVMS@pavo.concordia.ca (Concordia University Computing Services) (11/15/90)

I want to ask a question about color postscript and bitmap images
is it possible to create bitmap images using 8 bits images instead
of 24-bits. So far I only know hows to do 24-bits (16.7 million colors)
and I want to reduce it to 8-bits (256 colors) but not in 256 shades of
gray. If anybody has a an answer to this send me e-mail. Also code that
translate color GIF pictures into color postscript would do fine.

    Thanx for any responce,

    Richard Lefebvre
    email rick@cfdws5.concordia.ca or sotbill@vax2.concordia.ca
    Phone (514)848-8601

cross@eng.umd.edu (Chris P. Ross) (11/16/90)

In article <4815@pavo.concordia.ca>, DEMOVMS@pavo.concordia.ca (Concordia University Computing Services) writes:
> I want to ask a question about color postscript and bitmap images
> is it possible to create bitmap images using 8 bits images instead
> of 24-bits. So far I only know hows to do 24-bits (16.7 million colors)
> and I want to reduce it to 8-bits (256 colors) but not in 256 shades of
> gray. If anybody has a an answer to this send me e-mail. Also code that
> translate color GIF pictures into color postscript would do fine.
>
>     Thanx for any responce,
>
>     Richard Lefebvre
>     email rick@cfdws5.concordia.ca or sotbill@vax2.concordia.ca
>     Phone (514)848-8601

  Well, my advice would be for you to get a hold of a set of utilities
called PBM plus.  The PPM (Portable PixMap) format is able to write to
Color PS, and it will read from GIF and many other formats.  I don't
know where the best place to get this program is, but it's wonderful,
and it should be pretty easy to find.  Best of luck...

                                       - Chris Ross
                                        cross@eng.umd.edu