[comp.lang.postscript] PageView

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (11/17/90)

Sorry, I've been behind in my c.l.ps reading so I missed most of this
thread...  Let me try to clear up a few issues since I do have access
to the source (since I wrote it).

 - overlaid pages:
	Yes, pageview REQUIRES the Adobe Structuring Conventions to be
	followed to the letter.  Many people have written programs
	which output PostScript as if they had never seen Appendix C of
	the RedBook; while others read it and chose to ignore it for
	reasons beyond me (Frame).  Common errors range from having no
	comments at all, to misspelling "%%Page", to having code in the
	"no-mans-land" between the "%%EndProlog" and the first
	"%%Page:".  I've even seen files which went to the trouble to
	insert comments, but made up their own like "%%BeginPage:" and
	"%%EndPage:"!  A future version of PageView will have a "dumb
	mode" which will use showpage to step through a non-conforming
	document front to back with no random access.

 - standard in:
	If you stick pageview at the end of a pipe, or redirect stdin
	from a file, it will read the entire file from sdtin and stick
	it in a file in /tmp then use fseek() to randomly access it
	from there... I've never had any problems using pageview
	reading from stdin.

 - setscreen failure:
	This could be a bug in the xnews server, but I've used
	setscreen successfully many times and many documents include
	uses of it for generating pattern fills.  I believe that if you
	make the frequency too high it can take a long time to generate
	the halftone patterns, but I haven't seen it hang.  If you have
	a reproducible test case please send it to me.

 - resolution "(which doesn't really use the resolution you set)"
	The DPI property does not refer to the resolution of your
	screen!  It has no idea what monitor you have connected to your
	machine.  If you have a 72 dpi screen and run "pageview -dpi
	72" you will get 1 virtual inch == 1 real inch.  The inches
	that implied by the Property sheet's Size field (USLetter ==
	8.5x11) are "virtual inches", if you set the DPI property to
	match your screen exactly, they will match "real inches".

Hope this helps.

-Patrick

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Windows and Graphics Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (11/18/90)

In article <2964@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM
 (Patrick Naughton) writes:
> - resolution "(which doesn't really use the resolution you set)"
>	The DPI property does not refer to the resolution of your
>	screen!

Who said that it did?  That quote looks like mine, and I was talking
about the fact that a setscreen in pageview will use screen
resolution, so that the 300dpi bitmap you see is not the same as the
bitmap that a 300 dpi printer would produce.  Unless you're making
extensive use of custom screens, this is a feature.
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)