[comp.lang.postscript] untype1 - an Adobe Type-1 font decr

u1060@sunb2.cs.uiuc.edu (11/16/90)

This program seems interesting, and I've actually been looking for something
like this for quite awhile now. The problem that I have is that in the chars.s
file, I get an error message that says 'Line 179 SEEK_SET undefined". Any clues
to what to put down to define it? Unfortunaty, I'm not a C whiz.
Has someone else had similar problems, or been successful?

Everything else works fine. If anyone has any helpful hint, I would be thankful.
Also, my mail seems to be bouncing back from the author of the main note
or I would have contacted him directly.

Thanks in advance...

Andrew Hunt    University of Illinois Press   (a-hunt2@uiuc.edu)

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (11/17/90)

I have used a mac utility callled "UnAdobe" that uncompresses mac format
fonts so that they can be copied to a DOS system.
My examination of the results, in comparison to "real" IBM format postscript
fonts, reveals a few things.
The files are indeed uncompressed, and can be downloaded to a printer using
some font download utiltities. Others choke on the fonts.
More importantly, and the purpose of my post, it would appear that somewher
in the translation process a string of rogue carriage returns seem to have
crept in.
My question is, are the problems that I sometimes have with downloading and
other things, a result of the fact that they are uncompressed, or the stray
carriage return/line feeds?
And secondly, is it possible to write a utility that would "re-compress" the
fonts?

 Adam Smith                     Genius - Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy
 The Chameleon Papers                           Vancouver, BC   CANADA
"Human beings are a great disappointment to me and it doesn't help
 one bit that I am one."      (Deko 64)

jaa@cs.su.oz (James Ashton) (11/19/90)

In article <26300001@sunb2> u1060@sunb2.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>file, I get an error message that says 'Line 179 SEEK_SET undefined". Any clues
>to what to put down to define it? Unfortunaty, I'm not a C whiz.
>Has someone else had similar problems, or been successful?

I had this problem too.  Either
#define SEEK_SET 0
or
#include <unistd.h>
will do the trick.  The latter is probably the preferred option and I
only mention the former in case you're missing the include file

						James Ashton.