[comp.lang.postscript] Request for Display PostScript Utility

mcmullen@seqp4.ORG (Jim McMullen) (10/30/90)

We (Sequoia Systems) are installing Documentor's Workbench 3.1
and want (would like to?) to bring up the PostScript previewer
mentioned in the promo literature.  I looked through the
accompanying AT&T  documentation and could not find any mention
of this component, which lead me to believe that the PostScript
previewer like the PostScript laser printer is a user responsibility.

OK, I am taking responsbility.  My question to the comp.text and
comp.lang.postscript communities is:  "Is there a commercially
available PostScript previewer that can divert troff/postscript
output to an X Open Look Window?"

                                - Thanx

				   Jim Mc Mullen
				   Sequoia's Tech Publican

Usual disclaimers apply.

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (10/30/90)

In article <663@seqp4.UUCP>, mcmullen@seqp4.ORG (Jim McMullen) writes:
> We (Sequoia Systems) are installing Documentor's Workbench 3.1
> and want (would like to?) to bring up the PostScript previewer
> mentioned in the promo literature.  I looked through the
> accompanying AT&T  documentation and could not find any mention
> of this component, which lead me to believe that the PostScript
> previewer like the PostScript laser printer is a user responsibility.

Someone posted a SunOS (NeWS) postscript previewer a while back.
There is a program called, I believe, xditview, on the X11R4
tape from MIT that previews troff under X.  Internally we have
a full PostScript interpreter which we use for various
devices, especially the DMD 630 terminal. It basically works
like a C compiler-- generic syntax/semantics front-end, then
a custom-made backend for specific devices. We could make this
a product if there were interest.  We also may make xditview
available as part of a future DWB release.

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (11/19/90)

In article <663@seqp4.UUCP>, mcmullen@seqp4.ORG (Jim McMullen) writes:
> We (Sequoia Systems) are installing Documentor's Workbench 3.1
> and want (would like to?) to bring up the PostScript previewer
> mentioned in the promo literature.  I looked through the
> accompanying AT&T  documentation and could not find any mention
> of this component, which lead me to believe that the PostScript
> previewer like the PostScript laser printer is a user responsibility.
>
> OK, I am taking responsbility.  My question to the comp.text and
> comp.lang.postscript communities is:  "Is there a commercially
> available PostScript previewer that can divert troff/postscript
> output to an X Open Look Window?"

Gee, thought I'd answered this one--
pageview from Sun is a PostScript previewer, thus:
        troff ... | dpost | pageview
On the X11R4 tape is a program called ditview we may
include in future DWB releases, thus:
        troff -TX75 ... | ditview
Internally (in AT&T) we have a PostScript interpreter for
the blit-type terminals (5620, 630 and 730) that a lot of
people use.