[comp.lang.postscript] OpenWindows PageView problems

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (11/13/90)

Does anyone have problems in using pageview (a postscript viewer) from SUN's
OpenWindows? This utility is really great since it allows on-line editing and
viewing of PostScript files and the screen display (especially shadings) is
pretty good. However, whenever I try to use the PostScript command "setscreen"
to change the greyscale patterns, pageview will hang. In fact, Openwindows
will hang and I have to kill the processes remotely.

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.utoronto.BITNET

djd@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (David Dawkins) (11/13/90)

In article <90Nov12.134718est.18498@me.utoronto.ca> sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes:
>Does anyone have problems in using pageview (a postscript viewer) from SUN's
>OpenWindows? ...
>..whenever I try to use the PostScript command "setscreen"
>to change the greyscale patterns, pageview will hang.

I've had the same problem with the "pstack" command - the machine just
hangs ( an 'input queue lock', I think ). I guess this is just the result
of unfinished software - it _is_ in the Demos !!

The answer is not to use PageView, but to use psh instead. In case you didn't
know, then you can create a PostScript/NeWS file with the top line

#!$OPENWINHOME/bin/psh
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ie, insert the home directory of OpenWindows here;
               mine looks like '#!/openwin/bin/psh'
               (Assuming that's where psh actually is ! )

Remember to do a

% chmod u+x <file>

and then just run it. Of course, this does mean you have to create your own
canvas to work on. ( NeWS 2.1 Programmer's Guide tells all ).

Hope this helps.

David.

David J Dawkins    | Use the following email address (mine is temp. screwed!)
Reading University | adp@uk.ac.reading.cs.csug  OR
United Kingdom     | adp%uk.ac.reading.cs.csug@uk.ac.nfs.net-relay

Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Re: OpenWindows PageView problems

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (11/14/90)

 (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes:
>Does anyone have problems in using pageview (a postscript viewer) from SUN's
>OpenWindows?

I've done a fair amount of screen hacking in OpenWindows 2.0, mostly
without pageview (which doesn't really use the resolution you set).
The best thing to do is create your own window, and set the scaling to
get the right results.  Here's what I was doing (more or less):
	/C framebuffer newcanvas def
	0 0 500 500 rectpath
	% 80 dpi SLC
	300 80 div dup scale
	C reshapecanvas
	C/Mapped true put
	C setcanvas
	%setscreen here should produce a 300dpi screen
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

primer@math.harvard.edu (Jeremy Primer) (11/14/90)

I have had some other problems with pageview.  It overlays all pages
together when displaying output from our dvi2ps filter (the fancy
version that works with Psfig/TeX).  The reason is that dvi2ps sees
fit to redefine  showpage,  and this throws pageview off.  Simply
commenting out these redefinitions did not solve the problem.  Has
anyone figured out a good way of dealing with this?
--
Jeremy Primer, Department of Mathematics, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge MA 02138
primer@math.harvard.edu   ...!harvard!zariski!primer    primer@zariski.bitnet

rberlin@birdland.sun.com (Rich Berlin) (11/15/90)

> I have had some other problems with pageview.  It overlays all pages
> together when displaying output from our dvi2ps filter (the fancy
> version that works with Psfig/TeX).  The reason is that dvi2ps sees
> fit to redefine  showpage,  and this throws pageview off.  Simply
> commenting out these redefinitions did not solve the problem.  Has
> anyone figured out a good way of dealing with this?

I don't think 'showpage' is the problem.  My experience with pageview
is that it works only on (a) one-page files, or (b) files which
conform to the Adobe Document Structuring conventions.  It uses the
structuring comments to select a single page to be imaged; without the
comments, it never finds page boundaries so it overlays all the pages.

-- Rich

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (11/15/90)

rberlin@birdland.sun.com (Rich Berlin) writes:

>> I have had some other problems with pageview.  It overlays all pages
>> together when displaying output from our dvi2ps filter (the fancy
>> version that works with Psfig/TeX).  The reason is that dvi2ps sees
>> fit to redefine  showpage,  and this throws pageview off.  Simply
>> commenting out these redefinitions did not solve the problem.  Has
>> anyone figured out a good way of dealing with this?

>I don't think 'showpage' is the problem.  My experience with pageview
>is that it works only on (a) one-page files, or (b) files which
>conform to the Adobe Document Structuring conventions.  It uses the
>structuring comments to select a single page to be imaged; without the
>comments, it never finds page boundaries so it overlays all the pages.

>-- Rich

I have experienced BOTH. I think if I tried to use a pipeline, then all pages will
be overlapping into one. If I first write the PostScript output to a file and
then use pageview to view it, the pagination works fine. BTW, I am using psroff
and psdit from Adobe Systems to typeset my text.

It is not logical to assume that pageview works only on one-page files since under
the "view" menu, it does have the options "first", "last", "next" and "previous".

rberlin@birdland.sun.com (Rich Berlin) (11/16/90)

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes

> I have experienced BOTH. I think if I tried to use a pipeline, then
> all pages will be overlapping into one. If I first write the
> PostScript output to a file and then use pageview to view it, the
> pagination works fine. BTW, I am using psroff and psdit from Adobe
> Systems to typeset my text.

I can imagine why this behavior might occur, but as I don't have the
source to pageview readily available, I haven't been able to check
into it.  If I find out anything concrete, I'll pass it along.

> It is not logical to assume that pageview works only on one-page files
> since under the "view" menu, it does have the options "first", "last",
> "next" and "previous".

My apologies. I reread my message and see that it might have been
unclear, so I'm going to try again.  I didn't mean to suggest that
pageview only works on one-page documents.  (For those of you who
don't want to go back through old messages, I said)

|> >I don't think 'showpage' is the problem.  My experience with pageview
|> >is that it works only on (a) one-page files, or (b) files which
|> >conform to the Adobe Document Structuring conventions.  It uses the
|> >structuring comments to select a single page to be imaged; without the
|> >comments, it never finds page boundaries so it overlays all the
|> pages.

What I was trying to say here is that pageview uses the structuring
comments to find and separate out the different pages of a
*multi-page* document.  With a multi-page document which conforms to
these conventions pageview behaves nicely.  With a multi-page document
which does not conform to the Structuring Conventions, pageview is not
smart enough to determine where one page ends and the next begins; it
overlays all of the pages on top of one another, producing the
symptoms described.  (a) above was trying to say that it doesn't
matter whether single-page documents conform or not, because obviously
a single page document is not going to display the symptom of unwanted
overlaid pages.

-- Rich

primer@math.harvard.edu (Jeremy Primer) (11/16/90)

rberlin@birdland.sun.com (Rich Berlin) writes:

   I don't think 'showpage' is the problem.  My experience with pageview
   is that it works only on (a) one-page files, or (b) files which
   conform to the Adobe Document Structuring conventions.  It uses the
   structuring comments to select a single page to be imaged; without the
   comments, it never finds page boundaries so it overlays all the pages.

This has been my experience over the past few days as well.  Thanks to
all who pointed out that (1) NeWS requires PostScript meeting the
conventions, and (2) the Rokicki dvips program, available for
anonymous ftp from neon.stanford.edu, outputs such PostScript.
--
Jeremy Primer, Department of Mathematics, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge MA 02138
primer@math.harvard.edu   ...!harvard!zariski!primer    primer@zariski.bitnet

nrouquet@gringo.usc.edu (Nicolas Rouquette) (11/21/90)

Try to use the latest and greatest version of Rockiki's dvips. Here, it
works fine
with pageview from the version 2.0 of openwindows.

Nicolas Rouquette			E-mail: nrouquet@usc.edu
Computer Science Department MC-0782
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0782