[comp.lang.postscript] Adobe Courier versions

kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (12/01/90)

[]
	When I got Adobe Type Manager 2.0 for my Macintosh, I was
surprised to see (when printing fonts very large) that the included
Courier font had slab serifs with _square_ ends, as opposed to the
rounded ones commonly found on PostScript printers.

	Was this change just an aesthetic choice by Adobe's designers,
or was there a technical reason?

	(I believe I've heard that the Courier in PostScript printers is
a stroked font.  Since ATM uses only Type 1 fonts, which are outlines, I
imagine Courier has been redrawn.  Still, is there a reason it wasn't
drawn with rounded serifs?)

	My Courier outline font file is "Version 002.002".

--

James "Kibo" Parry       kibo@rpi.edu
132 Beacon St. #213, Boston, MA 02116

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/02/90)

In article <}X}^8==@rpi.edu> kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
>[]
>	When I got Adobe Type Manager 2.0 for my Macintosh, I was
>surprised to see (when printing fonts very large) that the included
>Courier font had slab serifs with _square_ ends, as opposed to the
>rounded ones commonly found on PostScript printers.

Hmm, I'm going out on a limb here, since I don't know this for SURE, but
I believe that Courier has always had "slab" serifs. Perhaps you're thinking
of American Typewriter?  Courier on Postscript printers is an outline
rendering of a stroke font, and as such I would expect the ends of each
serif to be square (or in the case of the end of a rounded stroke, to be
square to the tangent of the curve at that point--as in the top curve of
the lowercase a).

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (12/02/90)

In article <40512@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>In article <}X}^8==@rpi.edu> kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
>>[]
>>	When I got Adobe Type Manager 2.0 for my Macintosh, I was
>>surprised to see (when printing fonts very large) that the included
>>Courier font had slab serifs with _square_ ends, as opposed to the
>>rounded ones commonly found on PostScript printers.
>>
>Hmm, I'm going out on a limb here, since I don't know this for SURE, but
>I believe that Courier has always had "slab" serifs. Perhaps you're thinking
>of American Typewriter?  Courier on Postscript printers is an outline
>rendering of a stroke font, and as such I would expect the ends of each
>serif to be square (or in the case of the end of a rounded stroke, to be
>square to the tangent of the curve at that point--as in the top curve of
>the lowercase a).

No, I meant Courier.

I recall that back when I used LaserWriters they made serifs with
rounded tips (like real typewriters with cloth ribbons).  But the
version with ATM makes squared-off slab serifs which make the font look
very different.

--

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (12/03/90)

In article <4004@rpi.edu>, kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:

    *  No, I meant Courier.

    *  I recall that back when I used LaserWriters they made
    *  serifs with rounded tips (like real typewriters with
    *  cloth ribbons).  But the version with ATM makes
    *  squared-off slab serifs which make the font look very different.

I grabbed a couple of the outline descriptions from the
Courier font out of my LaserWriter II-NTX and they are all
straight lines.  Even the curvy characters like `R' only
appear to have curves for the curved parts.  The serifs are
square.  Linda Gass of Adobe is the person reputed to have
digitised Courier, so perhaps she could comment.

	........  Henry

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (12/03/90)

In article <}X}^8==@rpi.edu> kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
>[]
>	When I got Adobe Type Manager 2.0 for my Macintosh, I was
>surprised to see (when printing fonts very large) that the included
>Courier font had slab serifs with _square_ ends, as opposed to the
>rounded ones commonly found on PostScript printers.
>
>	Was this change just an aesthetic choice by Adobe's designers,
>or was there a technical reason?
>
>	(I believe I've heard that the Courier in PostScript printers is
>a stroked font.  Since ATM uses only Type 1 fonts, which are outlines, I
>imagine Courier has been redrawn.  Still, is there a reason it wasn't
>drawn with rounded serifs?)
>
>	My Courier outline font file is "Version 002.002".
>
>--
>
>James "Kibo" Parry       kibo@rpi.edu
>132 Beacon St. #213, Boston, MA 02116
>(617) 262-3922

James,
  I called Adobe about that question a couple of months back mainly because
I wanted to know if the PlusPack fonts were going through new revisions as
well.  They told me that the only some of the earliest fonts like Courier
were being redone. As the oldest ones, Adobe felt they could be done better
than before.
                  Cheers...
                 Jack Howarth

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (12/03/90)

I have read the discussion so far and can't stay quiet any longer.

Courier on the printer has rounded ends on the serifs. Courier
on ATM has square serifs on the ends. Courier LOOKS like a stroke
font rather than a filled font (I am NOT saying it is, I am saying it
LOOKS like it is).

If I had to guess at the difference then I would guess that Courier is
a stroke font rather than a filled font and that the equivalent of
"1 setlinecap" is done in the printer and "2 setlinecap" is done on screen.
My guess is that setlinecap was too hard or too useless to burden ATM with
so they let Courier suffer on screen and in non-PostScript printers. I bet
they (Adobe) wouldn't loose too much sleep over Courier (my personal fav!).

tj

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (12/04/90)

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:
>kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
>    *  No, I meant Courier.
>
>    *  I recall that back when I used LaserWriters they made
>    *  serifs with rounded tips (like real typewriters with
>    *  cloth ribbons).  But the version with ATM makes
>    *  squared-off slab serifs which make the font look very different.
>
>I grabbed a couple of the outline descriptions from the
>Courier font out of my LaserWriter II-NTX and they are all
>straight lines.  [...] The serifs are square.

Yes, the serifs are square, but the default linecap is a circular arc, so
the ends of the serifs are drawn as parts of circles both on the LaserWriter
and under Open Windows 2.0.
The LinoType Collection catalogue shows the slab serifs in Courier as having
rounded ends (I'm looking at 00564 Courier Typewriter).

If you do a 0 setlinecap in the font's Buildchar you'll get square ends.

Lee

--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, +1 (416) 963-8337

dkletter@adobe.COM (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (12/05/90)

to which Kathy <clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> responded:

>Hmm, I'm going out on a limb here, since I don't know this for SURE, but
>I believe that Courier has always had "slab" serifs. Perhaps you're thinking
>of American Typewriter?  Courier on Postscript printers is an outline
>rendering of a stroke font, and as such I would expect the ends of each
>serif to be square (or in the case of the end of a rounded stroke, to be
>square to the tangent of the curve at that point--as in the top curve of
>the lowercase a).

not quite... 2:^) James was a bit closer to the mark... the original
versions of Courier (which are in the ROMs of a PostScript laser printer
as well) were stroked fonts with rounded end caps. i believe it was a
TRW design. because ATM does not handle stroked fonts, it was redone
as an outline, with slab serifs. some changes to character shapes were
made. notice the lowercase 'e' or the 'ae'. in any case, Courier is sort
of like Garamond. there are many many versions of it running around.
it was decided that the slab serifed version was more true to the correct
look of Courier and also produced better looking output at smaller sizes
on 300dpi printers. the only gotcha in this whole picture is that if you
have a PostScript printer, chances are you don't have these current
outlines in your ROMs. hence, when you print there will be some font
substitution going on, and the spacing between both versions is slightly
different. the work around for that is to download to RAM the outlines
that come with ATM because as you know, the priority for which fonts
get used is RAM, ROM, disk so what you are doing is tricking the printer
into using the "right stuff" essentially. 2;^)

hope this helps. --d

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (12/05/90)

In article <8809@adobe.UUCP> dkletter@adobe.UUCP (SUGAR in their vitamins?) writes:
>              the only gotcha in this whole picture is that if you
>have a PostScript printer, chances are you don't have these current
>outlines in your ROMs. hence, when you print there will be some font
>substitution going on, and the spacing between both versions is slightly
>different.

What do you mean, the "only gotcha"?

First of all, how can there possibly be spacing differences between
two versions of the same MONOSPACED font?  That's absurd.

Second of all, if Adobe has changed the widths, they have committed
an arch sin, and should have called the font by a totally different
name.

Luckily, Adobe knows that, and I am quite confident that the widths of
Courier have not changed, so I'm looking forward to the retraction
statement :-)

I have a feeling the slab serifs are a slight improvement for poor
Courier, although it remains aesthetically displeasing no matter what
kind of serifs it has.

Glenn
--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

lemon@adobe.com (David Lemon) (12/06/90)

I's like to try to clear up some of the questions that have been floating
around regarding Courier. So:

* The Courier in most existing printers is a stroked font with rounded
endcaps. It was stroked because 8 years ago ROM was worth more than gold, and
a stroked font uses much less memory (half the path elements). The original
version also used one set of paths for all four fonts, for further memory
savings.

* When the need for a Type 1 version outweighed the (addictive) memory
savings, Sumner Stone gave us the go-ahead to use a more accurate design,
rather than the outline clone used by the clonemakers. This leads to all the
questions you've seen to date. Such questions are inevitable, but the
improvement seemed worth it.

* Newer printers and the ATM package include a revised version of Courier
(anything with version number 2.00x). As has been mentioned, there are
multiple designs of this face, but Adobe's newer version is fairly well in
line with the original IBM design. (Personally, I prefer Frutiger's redesign.)

* Although the character bounding boxes are necessarily different in the new
version, Adobe has an *adamant* policy of not altering character widths in
any revised fonts, so line breaks will not be affected.

I hope we can now move on to more important matters...

- David Lemon
  Type Nerd

Disclaimer: I wasn't here 8 years ago, and I've been known to have opinions.