[comp.lang.postscript] Is the Adobe server OK???

chris@groucho (12/12/90)

I haven't ordered anything from the Adobe ps-file-server in a while, but when
I've tried during the past week or so, I get "Host adobe.com unknown".  Do I
have the wrong address?  As far as I know, our nameserver is OK; it can find
other addresses with relative ease...  The address I have for the server is
ps-file-server@adobe.com.  Sorry to be dumb, but it's been one of those days...

Oh, by the way, I've tried this on three different connections U of Idaho
has to the internet, and all of them do the same thing...

Thanks,
Paul
-----------
Paul Kearns, Support Technician              Ag Computing Services
agcomp2@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu                University of Idaho
-----------
Disclaimer???  I don't even know her!!!!

alo@kampi.hut.fi (Antti Louko) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec12.022137.25202@groucho> agcomp2@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Paul Kearns) writes:
>I haven't ordered anything from the Adobe ps-file-server in a while, but when
>I've tried during the past week or so, I get "Host adobe.com unknown".  Do I

Adobe should cooperate with some friendly Internet-connected site
which could put all current and new files in Adobe file server under
anonymous ftp. After this also all non-Internet sites could get files
from there because there are ftp-mail gateways in Internet. What do
you say, Adobe???

	Antti Louko (alo@hut.fi)
	Helsinki University of Technology
	Computing Centre
	tel. work +358 0 4514314
	telefax   +358 0 464788

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.110241.20350@santra.uucp> alo@kampi.hut.fi (Antti Louko)
wrote:

> Adobe should cooperate with some friendly Internet-connected site
> which could put all current and new files in Adobe file server under
> anonymous ftp.

I *very* much hope this happens.  I never make use of the Adobe server because
I despise mail servers.  Using GNU Emacs and ange-ftp.el I can run dired on
remote ftpable directories, and read things at my leisure without having to
for the stuff to be sent to me.
					-- Jamie

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/13/90)

In article <JWZ.90Dec12105404@sunvalleymall.lucid.com> jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>In article <1990Dec12.110241.20350@santra.uucp> alo@kampi.hut.fi (Antti Louko)
>wrote:
>>
>> Adobe should cooperate with some friendly Internet-connected site
>> which could put all current and new files in Adobe file server under
>> anonymous ftp.
>
>I *very* much hope this happens.  I never make use of the Adobe server because

I also would like to see this happen.

Meanwhile, try the address: adobe!ps-file-server@decwrl.dec.com

I've used this address yesterday/today and got a few files fine.
Response time was less than 8 hours for a 100k file.
Yes, the server is working fine.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (12/13/90)

1) Yes I think it should be an ftp site
2) But yes it is working. This week I sent an index request and it
   came to me OK. I used adobe.com from way up here in Canada.

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (12/14/90)

In article <JWZ.90Dec12105404@sunvalleymall.lucid.com>, jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
> In article <1990Dec12.110241.20350@santra.uucp> alo@kampi.hut.fi (Antti Louko)
> wrote:
> >
> > Adobe should cooperate with some friendly Internet-connected site
> > which could put all current and new files in Adobe file server under
> > anonymous ftp.
>
> I *very* much hope this happens.  I never make use of the Adobe server because
> I despise mail servers.  Using GNU Emacs and ange-ftp.el I can run dired on
Internet access costs to much for most folks.  My node does not have it,
it would cost $15,000.00 per year for internet access and FTP.  Probably
more people are in that boat than have FTP access.  The mail server is
more general, *everyone* can get at a mail server.  If you want to be an
anti-mail server person, fine, but the mail server should stay.  If you
choose not to use it, it is your loss.

Cheers
Woody

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/14/90)

Don't forget there are THREE different options for distributing files on
demand:

 1. Mail based archive server (MBAS)

 2. Anonymous FTP

 3. Anonymous UUCP

These are not mutually exclusive!  A properly configured site can offer
all of them, or any subset.

The big argument for anonymous FTP over MBAS is that it relieves
intermediate sites of the burden of routing and carrying all that
traffic.  But the problem is that it leaves UUCP-only sites out in the
cold.  Well, that's where anonymous UUCP comes in.

I ain't gonna be the one to do it, but it would be a big blessing if
someone who administers a big archive site would promulgate a document
telling how to set up a dual FTP-UUCP archive.

--
'The Nazis have no sense of humor, so why   -|  Tom Neff
should they want television?' -- Phil Dick  |-  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/14/90)

In article <1745@chinacat.Unicom.COM>
  woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
[about FTP archive for ps-file-server@adobe.com]
>Internet access costs to much for most folks.  My node does not have it,
>it would cost $15,000.00 per year for internet access and FTP.  Probably
>more people are in that boat than have FTP access.  The mail server is
>more general, *everyone* can get at a mail server.

I think the problem is primarily legal rather than cost.
Adobe can certainly find plenty of FTP sites that are willing to
maintain the archive for them with no cost to them.
And, the FTP sites and mail server do not have to be mutually
exclusive.

I once inquired about uploading a few of Adobe documents to
an FTP site, and an Adobe person replied that they don't
(their legal department doesn't) allow this.
She didn't tell me the reason for this, and I didn't ask.

As for me, I don't have any gripe about the mail server.
It works well for me, although I would do FTP if the stuff
were available that way.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec12.022137.25202@groucho> agcomp2@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Paul Kearns) writes:
>I haven't ordered anything from the Adobe ps-file-server in a while, but when
>I've tried during the past week or so, I get "Host adobe.com unknown".  Do I
>have the wrong address?  As far as I know, our nameserver is OK; it can find
>other addresses with relative ease...  The address I have for the server is
>ps-file-server@adobe.com.  Sorry to be dumb, but it's been one of those days...

It is working OK through the Janet-Internet gateway (ps-file-server@com.adobe,
but you all know that we write addresses backwards here, don't you?)

In article <JWZ.90Dec12105404@sunvalleymall.lucid.com> jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
> {w.r.t. making Adobe fileserver contents available via Internet ftp}
>I *very* much hope this happens.  I never make use of the Adobe server because
>I despise mail servers.  Using GNU Emacs and ange-ftp.el I can run dired on
>remote ftpable directories, and read things at my leisure without having to
>for the stuff to be sent to me.

I am sure that many people would find it useful to have ftp access, but
for <%deity>'s sake keep the mail server mechanism as well. Not everyone
in the world has access to Internet FTP, and even when we do it may
require an inordinate amount of time and effort to use.

Chris Thompson
JANET:    cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
Internet: cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (12/15/90)

In article <1745@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) wrote:

> Internet access costs to much for most folks.  My node does not have it,
> it would cost $15,000.00 per year for internet access and FTP.  Probably
> more people are in that boat than have FTP access.  The mail server is
> more general, *everyone* can get at a mail server.

First of all, you're way wrong about the cost of inet access, it's not that
high.  Second, I didn't say anything about the mail server going away; just
that those of us with real network connections shouldn't have to stuff
elephants through needle-eyes using bass ackwards technology like mail
servers.  Third, it doesn't need to be Adobe running the FTP site; I'm
sure they could find someone willing to do it for free.  Fourth, even if it
was Adobe, and the only way to get at the stuff was through FTP, there are
numerous sites running mail servers which will do FTPs for you and mail you
the results.

Screw you, Woody.

		-- Jamie

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (12/18/90)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes in favor of
the mail-based file server...

> ...The mail server is
> more general, *everyone* can get at a mail server...

It's not that easy.  It depends on the indulgence of the sites along the
mail path from the server to your machine.  Many sites have limits which
prevent sending large files via mail--common limits are 1000 lines and 100
Kb; I know of a major Internet site with a 50 Kb limit.  The reason for
these limits is that it doesn't make sense to transfer large files with a
store-and-forward mechanism when you can establish an end-to-end connec-
tion.  Files available from the Adobe file server have numerous hacks to
get around problems of mailing large files--split into pieces, compress,
uuencode...and the server also has to do some load-limiting because of the
low bandwidth of mail pathways.

The mail-based server is useful, particularly for the little guys, but
there really ought to be a way to ftp the stuff too.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Mr. Natural says, "Use the right tool for the job."