[comp.lang.postscript] IMAGEN/QMS/Ultrascript problems

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (12/05/90)

We have an Imagen printer with Ultrascript. For some reason, it refuses to
print postscript files created with Microsoft Word for Windows. Actually, it
prints the graphics, tables, underlines,etc., but not the fonts. I'm using
Times-Roman fonts so this is not the problem. I get not syntax error. The same
file prints fine on an Apple LaserWriter and also on a Brother HL8-PS running
Brother's BR-Script. The version of Ultrascript is 5.0 I believe.

Thanks,
-Jaz

| Jack A Zucker	                 {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!jaz@icd.ab.com |
| Allen-Bradley Company, Inc.     or                       ICCGCC::ZUCKER    |
| 747 Alpha Drive
| Highland Hts., OH 44143         phone: (216) 646-4668   FAX: (216)
646-4484 |

grover@sunnyland.cs.unlv.edu (Kevin Grover) (12/06/90)

In article <1988@abvax.UUCP>, jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
) From: jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker)
) Subject: IMAGEN/QMS/Ultrascript problems
) Date: 5 Dec 90 13:21:43 GMT
)
) We have an Imagen printer with Ultrascript. For some reason, it refuses to
) print postscript files created with Microsoft Word for Windows. Actually, it
) prints the graphics, tables, underlines,etc., but not the fonts. I'm using
) Times-Roman fonts so this is not the problem. I get not syntax error. The same
) file prints fine on an Apple LaserWriter and also on a Brother HL8-PS running
) Brother's BR-Script. The version of Ultrascript is 5.0 I believe.
)
) Thanks,
) -Jaz

Yes, I have the exact same problem.  I can get the files to print on a QMS 820,
but not on the IMAGEN. I think that the drivers are just not correct.  It would
be great of MicroSoft provided jump DUMB PostScript driver that created code
for Standard Adobe PostScript printers w/o all of the bells and whistles to
chang paper trays, etc. (That's what gives an error on our IMAGEN.)  But, then
you do not have access to all of the fancy fonts that aren't standard.  I think
I could live w/o this, if I could only get the file to print.

One possible solution is to call MS and ask for a drivers upgrade disk.  Maybe
it is a printer that has been added.  Who knows??

  | Kevin Grover             UNLV Computer Science |
  | grover@cs.unlv.edu       Las Vegas, Nevada     |

gillies@cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (12/16/90)

On the contrary, I would tend to blame the ultrascript software, since
it is a postscript "clone" and very easily crashed (It seems like I
spend my whole life working around bugs in ultrascript *sight*)

glenn@imagen.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) (12/20/90)

In article <gillies.661331017@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:

> On the contrary, I would tend to blame the ultrascript software, since
> it is a postscript "clone" and very easily crashed (It seems like I
> spend my whole life working around bugs in ultrascript *sight*)

It sounds to me like Don has an old revision of UltraScript.  The current
version is very solid.

I would like to know of ways to crash the current version 2.2.

Please send me any postscript files that are causing you problems.

UltraScript is a very stable product.  I do wish more people would use the
current release.

Glenn Boozer         glenn@imagen.com
QMS, Imagen Division
PostScript is what we do best

<SMITHM@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (12/20/90)

Glenn at Imagen says:

>  I do wish more people would use the current release.

Well, we've got a very buggy ancient release of UltraScript on an Imagen
XP7320 printer.  The upgrade cost: $4505 + $650 installation (Canadian $).

To be fair, the upgrade is expensive because it requires new hardware.
But still, it would cost us >$5,000 to run the current release of UltraScript.
And I just can't convince my management to go for this because we still
won't have true Adobe PostScript.  They say things like: 'Don't throw
good money after bad.'

 Mike Smith                                  SMITHM@QUCDN.BITNET
 Queen's University                          Michael.D.Smith@QueensU.CA
 Computing and Communications Services       (613) 545-2024