[comp.lang.postscript] RS/6000 DItroff to PostScript

stevem@ibmpcug.co.uk (Steve Marsden) (11/29/90)

I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3, with an HP LaserJet III,
to which I have added an HP PostScript cartridge.
Now I need the ability to convert ditroff output to PostScript.
I gather that there is a PD utility "tpscript", and that the
"transcript" utility may also do the same.
Can someone please fill me in on some of the details, or
suggest other utilities and sources of info.

Thanks.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.152058.4343@ibmpcug.co.uk>, stevem@ibmpcug.co.uk
(Steve Marsden) writes:
Steve> I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3, with an HP LaserJet III, to
Steve> which I have added an HP PostScript cartridge.  Now I need the
Steve> ability to convert ditroff output to PostScript.  I gather that
Steve> there is a PD utility "tpscript", and that the "transcript"
Steve> utility may also do the same.  Can someone please fill me in on
Steve> some of the details, or suggest other utilities and sources of
Steve> info.

You might want to try the freeware psroff (version 2.0) utility to
turn [tn]roff files into PostScript or LaserJet output... I haven't
used it on AIX 3.1, but earlier versions worked nicely on other
systems that I tried it on. The source was posted recently to
alt.sources and is available by anonymous ftp (sites posted to
comp.archives earlier this week).

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (12/04/90)

In article <4421@awdprime.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:

|In article <1990Nov29.152058.4343@ibmpcug.co.uk>, stevem@ibmpcug.co.uk
|(Steve Marsden) writes:
|Steve> I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3, with an HP LaserJet III, to
|Steve> which I have added an HP PostScript cartridge.  Now I need the
|Steve> ability to convert ditroff output to PostScript.  I gather that
|Steve> there is a PD utility "tpscript", and that the "transcript"
|Steve> utility may also do the same.  Can someone please fill me in on
|Steve> some of the details, or suggest other utilities and sources of
|Steve> info.
|
|You might want to try the freeware psroff (version 2.0) utility to
|turn [tn]roff files into PostScript or LaserJet output... I haven't
|used it on AIX 3.1, but earlier versions worked nicely on other
|systems that I tried it on. The source was posted recently to
|alt.sources and is available by anonymous ftp (sites posted to
|comp.archives earlier this week).

[stuff]

	I think psroff requires a true troff with true troff output,
	and I think the AIX troff is ditroff.
	So this might be the first thing you check before you
	put too much time in trying to install it.
	Also, I think that the aix troff can output for an hp.

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (12/05/90)

In article <13966@june.cs.washington.edu>, slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu
(Scott Heyano) writes:
Scott>  I think psroff requires a true troff with true troff output,
Scott>  and I think the AIX troff is ditroff.  So this might be the
Scott>  first thing you check before you put too much time in trying
Scott>  to install it.  Also, I think that the aix troff can output
Scott>  for an hp.

Absolutely right, so scratch my psroff idea. Here is exactly what AIX
3.1 troff supports, according to info:

                IBM 3812 Pageprinter II
                IBM 3816 Pageprinter
                Hewlett Packard LaserJet II with K cartridge

I couldn't find any mention of the PostScript requested in the
original post and have no idea of what the "K cartridge" is (special
fonts?).

Anyway, groff is supposed to be a full troff implementation with
PostScript output right?

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/20/90)

In article <4466@awdprime.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:

|In article <13966@june.cs.washington.edu>, slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu
|(Scott Heyano) writes:
|Scott>  I think psroff requires a true troff with true troff output,
|Scott>  and I think the AIX troff is ditroff.

|Absolutely right, so scratch my psroff idea. Here is exactly what AIX
|3.1 troff supports, according to info:

|                IBM 3812 Pageprinter II
|                IBM 3816 Pageprinter
|                Hewlett Packard LaserJet II with K cartridge

|I couldn't find any mention of the PostScript requested in the
|original post and have no idea of what the "K cartridge" is (special
|fonts?).

If I recall correctly, the K cartridge contains a bold and italic plus
some line printer fonts.  That's what psroff's predecessor "lcat" needed.

To generate Postscript from ditroff, you want either tpscript (c.s.u
a few years back) or Transcript from Adobe.  (Though, I might just
have psroff working with ditroff input too in the not-to-distant future.
Perhaps I should change the name then to "troffs-R-us" ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) (12/22/90)

>|(Scott Heyano) writes:
>|Scott>  I think psroff requires a true troff with true troff output,
>|Scott>  and I think the AIX troff is ditroff.
>
> (Chris Lewis) writes:
>Chris> Absolutely right, so scratch my psroff idea. Here is exactly what AIX
>Chris> 3.1 troff supports, according to info:
>
>                IBM 3812 Pageprinter II
>                IBM 3816 Pageprinter
>                Hewlett Packard LaserJet II with K cartridge
>
>To generate Postscript from ditroff, you want either tpscript (c.s.u
>a few years back) or Transcript from Adobe.  (Though, I might just
>have psroff working with ditroff input too in the not-to-distant future.
>Perhaps I should change the name then to "troffs-R-us" ;-)

I have tried to compile both transcript and tpscript for the Risc-6000 (AIX3.1)
and they both appear to depend on a "troff" that behaves likes troff's in the
rest of the BSD UNIX world.  IBM's troff will support the 3 printers listed
above and in so doing behaves a little like ditroff (but it isn't ditroff).
Nor is it a real standard-type troff.

It is unfortunate that IBM didn't provide PostScript support since they sell
PostScript printers as accessories to the Risc-6000.  I let our local
salesperson know that we're running into this problem.

Any further ideas to get PostScript troff support?

Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
                         Atmospheric Chemistry Division
fredrick@ncar.ucar.edu   PO Box 3000
fredrick@ncar.CSNET      Boulder, CO 80307

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/23/90)

Actually, Ronald Woan wrote this:

|>Chris> Absolutely right, so scratch my psroff idea. Here is exactly what AIX
|>Chris> 3.1 troff supports, according to info:
|>
|>                IBM 3812 Pageprinter II
|>                IBM 3816 Pageprinter
|>                Hewlett Packard LaserJet II with K cartridge

I did write this:

|>To generate Postscript from ditroff, you want either tpscript (c.s.u
|>a few years back) or Transcript from Adobe.  (Though, I might just
|>have psroff working with ditroff input too in the not-to-distant future.
|>Perhaps I should change the name then to "troffs-R-us" ;-)

|I have tried to compile both transcript and tpscript for the Risc-6000 (AIX3.1)
|and they both appear to depend on a "troff" that behaves likes troff's in the
|rest of the BSD UNIX world.  IBM's troff will support the 3 printers listed
|above and in so doing behaves a little like ditroff (but it isn't ditroff).
|Nor is it a real standard-type troff.

I think you're getting very confused here.  BSD troff is CAT troff.  Which
tpscript certainly doesn't support.  (I think transcript supports both
ditroff and CAT troff).  tpscript does not work with CAT troff directly.
But psroff does.  Do you mean "CAT troff" when you say "standard troff"?

If you type:
	troff
What does it say?  Just hang waiting for input?  (ditroff) or
say something about typesetter busy?  (CAT troff).  What does the
directory structure of /usr/lib/font look like?  Are the files ASCII
or binary?

As far as I'm aware, there are only two types of troff: ditroff
(DWB x.x) and CAT troff (often bundled).  All other forms are derivations
of them (Eg: SoftQuad: ditroff, Ultrix/RISC brain-damaged CAT Troff etc.).
Psroff now works with all variants of CAT troff that I'm aware of.  And,
tpscript works with all variants of ditroff that I know of (modulo
a glitch here and there).

Has IBM invented a new one for AIX 3?  AIX on PS/2's and RT's has CAT
troff which works quite nicely with psroff.

What you might want to do is capture some output of your troff, uuencode
it, and mail it to me, and I should be able to figure out precisely what
it is and what you have to do or get to emit postscript.