[comp.lang.postscript] Help wanted: affordable postscript printer

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/21/90)

In article <73105@unix.cis.pitt.edu> slist2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Shih-chen Lin) writes:
>I am looking for an affordable postscript printer for my PC.
>I don't consider HP+cartridge due to its low-speedy.
>
>(1) Is there anyone have experienced with TI MicroLaser PS17
>    ($1,500) or NEC SilentWriter 2, 90 ($1,600)? How was it?

I have the TI PS35 which has a street price of about $1600 right now.  I
got an extra 1MB of memory to bring it up to 2.5MB, but I'll only need
that for fonts.  It is a terrific little printer to have in a home or
small office.  The only knock is that the toner/developer system is a
little tricky to install; it pays to read the instructions and take it
slowly your first time through or you can end up with a HIDEOUS BLACK
SPOT on the carpet :-)  It has full HP LJ2 emulation built in as well as
Adobe Postscript with 35 fonts.  The engine is 6ppm.  The PostScript
interpreter doesn't seem particularly slow.  It has a 250 sheet bin and
a manual feed slot in front.  Output trays are on top (face down) and
back (face up).  It will do envelopes and labels.  There's a fairly
complex menu-driven interface off the front panel buttons, but you can
control basic functions, like switching HP/PS emulation, by pumping
brief control sequences at it, so I rarely touch the panel.

If anyone knows of a good FTP site that stores fonts I can feed to this
thing, by the way, a pointer posting here would be welcome.

--
The Confederate Express Card(tm)  X   Tom Neff
  ...don't secede without it!    X X  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/21/90)

slist2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Shih-chen Lin) writes:
>I am looking for an affordable postscript printer for my PC.
>I don't consider HP+cartridge due to its low-speedy.

>(1) Is there anyone have experienced with TI MicroLaser PS17
>    ($1,500) or NEC SilentWriter 2, 90 ($1,600)? How was it?
>(2) What kind of printer can be used for printing .DVI file
>    generated by "TeX"? (if I don't transform it into postscript)

>Any comment regarding affortable postscript printer is welcome.

We have 5 TI MicroLaser PS printers and the only gripe is that for
some things you need a lillte more ram than the standard 1.5 megs
(it also seems to lose ram over time - needing a reset to get it back).

Price performance is hard to beat, the 5 printers (total 30 pages a min)
cost us less than 1 12 page a min printer.

--
John Pettitt, Specialix International,
Email: jpp@specialix.com Tel +44 (0) 9323 54254 Fax +44 (0) 9323 52781

cpolishe@isis.cs.du.edu (Chuck Polisher) (12/22/90)

>(1) Is there anyone have experienced with TI MicroLaser PS17
>    ($1,500) or NEC SilentWriter 2, 90 ($1,600)? How was it?

Just purchased NEC Silenwriter 90, fed it our most troublesome
Quark layouts with mixed Adobe and Bitstream fonts.  So far it
looks pretty wonderful.  Nice sharp type, fast ripping, dense
blacks.  Purchase price was $1700.  I recommend it so far.

slist2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Shih-chen Lin) (12/25/90)

I am looking for an affordable postscript printer for my PC.
I don't consider HP+cartridge due to its low-speedy.

(1) Is there anyone have experienced with TI MicroLaser PS17
    ($1,500) or NEC SilentWriter 2, 90 ($1,600)? How was it?
(2) What kind of printer can be used for printing .DVI file
    generated by "TeX"? (if I don't transform it into postscript)

Any comment regarding affortable postscript printer is welcome.
Please E-mail slist2@unix.cis.pitt.edu. Thank you in advance.

Sunny