[comp.lang.postscript] NEC CD ROM

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (12/22/90)

Has anyone had any experience with the NEC CD rom that contains the
Adobe Fonts.  It is my understanding that one can buy it, and then
pay for activation codes on a font by font basis.  Has anyone actualy
purchased one of these things, and how well is is supported?  Do you
order the activations (fonts) from Adobe, or Nec or where?

Cheers
Woody

phillips@tegra.COM (Steve Phillips) (12/27/90)

In article <1766@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with the NEC CD rom that contains the
>Adobe Fonts.  It is my understanding that one can buy it, and then
>pay for activation codes on a font by font basis.  Has anyone actualy
>purchased one of these things, and how well is is supported?  Do you
>order the activations (fonts) from Adobe, or Nec or where?
>
>Cheers
>Woody

I've used the Macintosh version of this product, and it's pretty good.
The product comes in two versions - an unprotected version containing
the entire Adobe library (expensive) and the protected version.  I've
used only the protected version, so that's what I'll describe.

Fonts are purchased directly from NEC on a per-family basis (you get
to order three free families of your choice when you buy the disk).
You just call up, give them your serial number, and they give you
an access code for each family.  Once you've purchased a family,
its folder shows up on the CD type volume, so you see only the folders
for fonts you've purchased.  The disk contains the printer fonts,
Mac screen fonts, and AFMs.

Based on my experience, this is a solid and well-supported product.
It's nice to be able to buy fonts with just a phone call.  Again, I
have no experience with the PC version, but the Mac version basically
works as advertised.

- Steve
Steve Phillips                           "Never put off until tomorrow what
Tegra-Varityper, Inc., Billerica, MA      you can do the day after tomorrow"
tegra!phillips@uunet.com                                     - Mark Twain