[comp.lang.postscript] QMS JetScript

vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (12/07/90)

I've just got hold of a JetScript board for a PC. I have a LaserJet II and
an 386 unix box (SCO) and would like to connect them together.

Can anyone help me ???

		vic
--
Victor Gavin <vic@grep.co.uk||vic@grep.uucp||..!ukc!grep!vic||+44 532 500303>
Grep Limited, Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, Leeds, UK, LS19 7LX

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec06.171411.25084@grep.co.uk>, vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) writes:

> I've just got hold of a JetScript board for a PC. I have a LaserJet II and
> an 386 unix box (SCO) and would like to connect them together.
>
> Can anyone help me ???
I don't think so.  Jetscript holds the interpreter on disk, and requires
it to be downloaded to the controller board.  Since there is no information
available as to the format required, and as to the port addresses and what
type of port, it is going to be difficult to do this under anything other
than MS-DOS.  There is a loader with the Jetscript board that runs under
DOS.  At anyrate, once you have managed to send the interpreter to the
jetscript board, then you have another problem.  The driver for the board
installs a virtual printer device on the pc.  It is a device handler that
behaves like lpt3.  If you print (using DOS) to lpt3 you get Postscrpt,
if you print to lpt1 you get hp.  There is some magic going on within the
driver code.

The long and the short of it, is that Jetscript is MS-DOS specific.
If you are trying to use it on unix you are basicaly out of luck.

Cheers
Woody

duc@grumbly.UUCP (Richard Ducoty) (12/11/90)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:

>In article <1990Dec06.171411.25084@grep.co.uk>, vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) writes:
>>
>> I've just got hold of a JetScript board for a PC. I have a LaserJet II and
>> an 386 unix box (SCO) and would like to connect them together.
>>
>> Can anyone help me ???
>I don't think so.  Jetscript holds the interpreter on disk, and requires
==============================
It sounds like you didn't pay (much) for it.  Trade it in on a Pacific
Page Postscript cartridge.  They have a 2Mb memory board/Postscript
cartridge deal going now.  I got both for $345.  It works fine under
SVR4.  I don't see why it shouldn't run under SCO.

\\\
 - -   Richard Ducoty                                ..uunet!grumbly!duc
 _]    Capitola, California                            duc@grumbly.com

tgaucha@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (12/16/90)

}
}It sounds like you didn't pay (much) for it.  Trade it in on a Pacific
}Page Postscript cartridge.  They have a 2Mb memory board/Postscript
}cartridge deal going now.  I got both for $345.  It works fine under
}SVR4.  I don't see why it shouldn't run under SCO.
}

Why not try ImageScript?  It is cheaper, needs only 1.5Meg, and
comes with 47 fonts instead of 35.

Yes.  I use ImageScript.  Anyone have any comments on it?

pipkinsj@cpqhou.uucp (Jeff Pipkins @Adv Dev@SE hou ) (01/03/91)

In article <1738@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>In article <1990Dec06.171411.25084@grep.co.uk>, vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) writes:
>>
>> I've just got hold of a JetScript board for a PC. I have a LaserJet II and
>> an 386 unix box (SCO) and would like to connect them together.
>>
>> Can anyone help me ???
>I don't think so.  Jetscript holds the interpreter on disk, and requires
>it to be downloaded to the controller board.  Since there is no information
>available as to the format required, and as to the port addresses and what
>type of port, it is going to be difficult to do this under anything other
>than MS-DOS.  There is a loader with the Jetscript board that runs under
>DOS.  At anyrate, once you have managed to send the interpreter to the
>jetscript board, then you have another problem.  The driver for the board
>installs a virtual printer device on the pc.  It is a device handler that
>behaves like lpt3.  If you print (using DOS) to lpt3 you get Postscrpt,
>if you print to lpt1 you get hp.  There is some magic going on within the
>driver code.
>
>The long and the short of it, is that Jetscript is MS-DOS specific.
>If you are trying to use it on unix you are basicaly out of luck.
>
>Cheers
>Woody

Nice guess, Woody, but not quite right.  If you call QMS customer tech
support they'll walk you through installing JetScript for UNIX or other
non-DOS operating systems.

First of all, there is no magic in the driver that switches between PS
and HP; that happens in hardware at the printer (this is not a guess --
I wrote the driver).

Here's what to do:

1. Remove the shunt from jumper JW1 to disable the IRQ line interrupt.
2. You'll have to concatenate the PS.ZDL file.  It comes in three pieces.
The easiest way to do this is to with the DOS copy command using the '+'
operator and the /b option.  To download this file, all you have to do
is copy it BYTE FOR BYTE to the printer port that JetScript is on.  You
can do this in UNIX if you want!  In DOS, it's just "copy /b ps.zdl lpt1".
3. The first time that you bring it up, you must disable the reverse
channel communications.  There is a file on the disk that you can send
to it to do this.  This setting is saved in nonvolatile RAM on the board
so you do not have to do it again.

Once you get it installed, all you have to do is copy PS.ZDL to it once
on power up.

I wrote a tech note for installing JetScript under non-DOS operating
systems and gave it to the CTS (Customer Tech Support) folks there.  Those
guys are very helpful and familiar with these kinds of problems.  They
might even fax you a copy of the tech note if you ask them.

Good luck!

(BTW, you can reach QMS at 205-633-4300.  I don't ususally read this
group, but you can send me email.  I am not affiliated with QMS (anymore)
and any opinions expressed here may or may not be shared by QMS, Inc.)

--
Jeff D. Pipkins (uunet!cpqhou!pipkinsj)

My disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
Papaw's disclaimer: I've already told you more than I know.