[comp.lang.postscript] Type sample page ideas

jwhiting@cdp.UUCP (12/29/90)

I'm putting together some type sample pages.  Besides a fountain
of tthe character set, 34-30 points, I'm aldso going to do a sample
of body text.

Some time agaoio, I remember people talking about fun phrases that
usee the whole alphabet (besides The quick brown fox...) as well
as some words used to check letter spacing and kerning (one was
something like hamburger HAMUVV????).

thanks in advance,
jwhiting

cdp!jwhiting@labr4eaeea.stanford.edu

kenw@arcsun.calarc.ARC.AB.CA (Ken Wallewein) (12/31/90)

> Some time agaoio, I remember people talking about fun phrases that

  I didn't see that.  But here are a few full-alphabet phases, and a
tongue-twister I kinda like.

	Pack my box with five dozen liqour jugs.
	How quickly daft jumping zebras vex.
	Waltz, numph, for quick jigs vex Bud.
	The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.

/kenw

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (01/05/91)

jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:
>I'm putting together some type sample pages.  [...]
>phrases that use the whole alphabet

Not sure what you're doing this for, but the important thing about font
samples is usually that they help people to select a font for `normal' text
uses, so a paragraph of text in a couple of sizes, or in a normal book size
of between 10 and 12 point, is essential.

I once used the following sentence (that I probably made up at the time):

``Excellence in Typography
  is achieved at the expense of labour and artistry;
  for who but an artist would be fool enough to become
  a typographer?''

The phrase `Excellence in Typography' is favoured by type designers because
it contains some important (i.e. both frequent and visible) letter
combinations.

It might be helpful to show various \&\fBweights\fP and \&\fIstyles\fP set
on the same baseline (if you'll excuse the troff).  If it's for beginners or
the dreaded `dtp neophytes' :-), you might like to show some combinations
of type, so as to discourage mixing Helvetica, Times Roman and Courier all
in the same text, amongst other common errors.

Lee

--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, +1 (416) 963-8337