[comp.lang.postscript] Info. on Display-Postscript - PLEASE !

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (12/19/90)

Dear People,

	I requested information on the availability of
	Display-PostScript a short time ago.  Unfortunately
	I received only one response.

	If I could rephrase the question,

		Are there any Display-PostScript Libraries or
		DLL's available for any of the following,

			MS-Windows (TrueImage?)
			OS/2 Presentation Manager

	From what little I know, Display-Postscript is available
	for DEC-Windows and a derivative is available under the
	NeXT-Step interface.

			What about NeWS ?

	Thanks in advance,

Robert D. Thompson
rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu

pkr@media01.UUCP (Peter Kriens) (12/21/90)

Display postscript is an extension that can only be licensed from
Adobe. It is "normally" an extension on X-Windows. It consists of
a server extension where the postscript engine is added to the X-server.
The communication from the client side uses the X-window prototcol. From
the source side you can call procedures which sound the same as
the procedures in postscript (e.g. moveto, save).
There is a utility, pswrap, that converts a ps file into
C, this is also used for the interface lib.
As far as I know is the IBM RS 6000, DEC windows and NeXT the only
implementation at the moment. But you can talk to Adobe to get a
licence. But you better be prepared to pay..
For Windows or OS/2, I think DPS is too closely linked to X to run
on these tiny window systems.

It is really very nice to work with f you can run it on a fast
machine. I used it on a RS6000 530 server. Nice!

Hope to have helped you a little bit further,
Peter Kriens
pkr@media01

spage@cup.portal.com (S spage Page) (12/22/90)

"What about NeWS?"

NeWS is an implementation of the PostScript language and imaging model,
with extensions to handle processes, "canvases" (arbitrarily-shaped
windows), input events, etc. It's part of Sun's X11/NeWS merged server,
which is part of OpenWindows, which is now Sun's standard window system
(and is also part of System V release 4, although not core). In
OpenWindows 2.0, the PostScript implementation and conformance became a
lot more robust (solid enough for Sun to base their NeWSPrint printer
software on it).

NeWS comes with CPS, which lets you define and call PostScript routines
from C and contact the server, an object-oriented programming extensions
to PostScript (written in PS), a prototype UI toolkit (written in PS), a
page previewer, etc.

The nicest thing about it is writing portable PostScript programs that
create windows and animations when you send them to the server, just as
PostScript programs sent to a printer create attractive pages.

For more info, look to comp.windows.news

=S Page

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/05/91)

In article <1619@media01.UUCP> pkr@media01.UUCP (Peter Kriens) writes:
> It is "normally" an extension on X-Windows.

>For Windows or OS/2, I think DPS is too closely linked to X to run
>on these tiny window systems.

I believe that Display PostScript was available on the NeXT platform before
it was spotted in a commercially supported X11 flavor.  The NeXT uses Display
PostScript as its native windowing system, with no X11.  So X11 is not a
necessary condition for Display PostScript.

louie