[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript to LN03 VERY SLOW !!!!!!

craa22@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan2.190326@dimsum.enet.dec.com>, pwong@dimsum.enet.dec.com (Paul H. Wong) writes:
> In article <90337.181608IO81062@MAINE.BITNET>, IO81062@MAINE.BITNET (Kwok-hei Chan) writes:
>>
>>But we do have a LN03+. Is there any program to convert PostScript
>>into LN03 format? If not, why?
>>
>>Kwok-hei Chan
>>University of Maine
>>

> Digital sells a piece of software called DECprint Utility for PostScript
> to Sixel Printing for VMS.  It allows printing of PostScript files on
> Digital Equipment Corporation's desktop graphics sixel printers.

 ......... ......... .....

> Paul H. Wong

I purchased DECprint for our LN03+ but am very disappointed with the performance

The test file took several minutes cpu to translate - this meant 15 mins real
time. (Using VAX 8650). So it ALLOWS printing of PostScript files but not in a
reasonable timescale.  I don't know where the processing power goes - I tried
grabbing the intermediate .SIX file and printing that ie after the translation
from PS to .SIX was completed. I still found that an A4 page of PS text was
taking about two mins to print. Now I could be doing something crazy here ....
so if anybody would like to enlighten me ...... please feel free.

William Gillies         Strathclyde University

w.gillies@vaxa.strath.ac.uk