[comp.lang.postscript] color bitmaps

samarcq@ilog.fr (Vincent Samarcq) (01/08/91)

Is there any way of printing color bitmaps, i-e bitmaps with more than
2 colors.

I have heard of something like colorimage, it sounds great, does it
exist ? is it a standard function ? will it be a standard function ?
(is it good english ?) .

Thanks in advance.

Vincent SAMARCQ                             ILOG 2, avenue Gallieni BP 85
"Oh no ! Not again !" (D. Adams)                94253 Gentilly Cedex
Phone : 33 (1) 46 63 66 66                              FRANCE
Fax   : 33 (1) 46 63 15 82                  Email : samarcq@ilog.ilog.fr

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (01/09/91)

In article <10722@ilog.fr> samarcq@ilog.fr (Vincent Samarcq) writes:

>Is there any way of printing color bitmaps, i-e bitmaps with more than
>2 colors.
>
>I have heard of something like colorimage, it sounds great, does it
>exist ? is it a standard function ? will it be a standard function ?
>(is it good english ?) .

The colorimage operator (until recently) was found only in those printers
that supported the Color extensions. With the advent of Level 2, all Level 2
printers will support the colorimage operator. The Level 2 version of
the image operator also can produce color images.

You can get a copy of the Color Extensions specification from our server
(Color_Ext.ps) or see the image and colorimage operators in Chapter 8 of
the PostScript Language Reference Manual, Second Edition.

Carl 8-)

--------------------------------- Server Info -------------------------------
The PS-File-Server is an automatic mail-response program. That means you
mail it a request, and it mails back the response. It is not accessible
via anonymous FTP.

To get in touch with the server, send a message to the appropriate address,
either:
	uucp: {sun,decwrl}!adobe!ps-file-server OR
	internet: ps-file-server@adobe.COM
containing the word "help" in either the Subject: field or the message body.
It will reply with a message on how to use the available services.

There are many items available from the server; Documents (as PostScript
files), program sources, Adobe Font Metrics files, PostScript Printer
Description files, and other itmes.

You might send a separate message containing the word "index" to save some
time once you get the help message.

The file server does not respond to requests from users named "root",
"system", "daemon", or "mailer". This is to prevent mail loops from bounced
messages.

Note: If you do not receive help from the server within a day or so, it is
probably because the server's mail to you has bounced. You can try again
and use the "path" command within your message specifying a known return
path that the server should use. For example:
	path pyramid!rutgers!zakkaroo!jj
(substitute whatever address is appropriate)

If you have any problems contacting the server, or you have any suggestions,
please send a message to the moderator (ps-file-person@adobe.COM).