[comp.lang.postscript] Why Postscript?

shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) (01/10/91)

I'm a NeXT developer, and think Postscript is the cat's meow, and
wouldn't want to have to work with anything else.  However, I have a
lot of MS-DOS/Windows friends who swear by their HPLJ III's and don't
think a Postscript printer has anything over the HPLJ.

I'd like to hear some compelling arguments from the Postscript Sherpas
as to why a DOS type should buy a Postscript printer as opposed to an
HPLJ III (or some other non-postscript printer)

I'll summarize any email.  Have at it!!!!

Shawn Broderick
shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (01/10/91)

In article <SHAWN.91Jan9185806@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) writes:
>I'd like to hear some compelling arguments from the Postscript Sherpas
>as to why a DOS type should buy a Postscript printer as opposed to an
>HPLJ III (or some other non-postscript printer)

The answer nowadays is that they should not, and do not, have to choose
one to the exclusion of the other.  They can have both PostScript and
advanced HP features.

If you already have an HP Laserjet II or III, you can buy an Adobe
PostScript cartridge and plug it in.

If you are starting from scratch, you can buy an NEC or Texas
Instruments PostScript printer with HP emulation also built in.

The Laserjet III specifically features resolution enhancement, new
graphics commands and scalable fonts, all of which are standard issue in
PostScript land.  So if your word processor, CAD/CAM package or desktop
publishing software has the drivers, you can achieve gorgeous results
either way.  But PostScript is more standardized as the wide world
counts such things... HPLJ3 is relatively new.

You can download gorgeous PostScript documents from network libraries
all over the world, and print book quality manuals in the comfort and
privacy of your own home, if you support PostScript.  Don't
underestimate what a hoot this is!

Send your LJ3 friends a copy of 'smith.ps' just posted here.  Tell them
to have a nice day :-)

--
 1955-1975: 36 Elvis movies.  |  Tom Neff
 1975-1989: nothing.          |  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM