[comp.lang.postscript] Where is the _real_ epsilon?

cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) (01/14/91)

In article <29273@usc> gould@physics.usc.edu (Christopher Gould) writes:

>	The character called epsilon (Symbol character set code 145) is
>_not_ the character known as epsilon to TeX, WordPerfect, typesetters,
>etc., but rather the character called "varepsilon."  Epsilon is visually
>a mirror reflection of the PostScript Symbol character "suchthat" (code
>047).  It's also close to the left half of Symbol character "element"
>(code 316).
>	So: Is it possible to (easily) print the true epsilon instead
>of (var)epsilon, or do I need to build the character myself?

I think it's a bit hard on Adobe to refer to the epsilon you want as the
one true (Platonically real?) epsilon. Cursive epsilons of the form of
Adobe's Symbol \145 or TeX's \varepsilon are no less epsilons, although it
is a pity that Symbol doesn't provide both, I agree.

I have some doubts about the stylistic integrity of the Greek alphabet in
Symbol. And it doesn't inspire confidence to find the cursive pi (at least,
I can't imagine what else it is meant to be) at \166 called "omega1" !

Chris Thompson
JANET:    cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
Internet: cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk