[comp.lang.postscript] bind vs. save/restore

ghost@aladdin.com (L. Peter Deutsch) (01/14/91)

Today's obscure question has to do with the interaction between bind
and save/restore.

1) If one does a save and then a bind, will the restore undo the
effects of the bind?

2) If the answer is yes, is this true for packed arrays as well as
ordinary ones?  (Ed Taft's recent posting confirmed that bind does
affect packed arrays, even though they are normally read-only.)

	Thanks -

L. Peter Deutsch :: Aladdin Enterprises :: P.O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306
ghost@aladdin.com ; {uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!aladdin!ghost ; (415)329-0264
	    "Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery."

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (01/16/91)

In article <47.UUL1.3#5127@aladdin.com> ghost@aladdin.com (L. Peter Deutsch) writes:
>1) If one does a save and then a bind, will the restore undo the
>effects of the bind?
>
>2) If the answer is yes, is this true for packed arrays as well as
>ordinary ones?  (Ed Taft's recent posting confirmed that bind does
>affect packed arrays, even though they are normally read-only.)

Well, if you believe implementation, my NeXT computer (Display PostScript
version 2000.6) yields the following answers:

  1) yes, restore undoes the effects of bind
  2) no, it doesn't seem to work with packed arrays

I presume that you already did some testing before you posted your
question, and that what you are really asking for is clarification
from Adobe, but I thought that some implementation results might help
shed some light on the issue.

Glenn
--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software