[comp.lang.postscript] Is this a PostScript file?

gpkatch@maxwell.Concordia.CA (Gary Katch) (01/05/91)

The text below was produced by MicroSoft Works word processor, with
chosen printer Apple Laserwriter II with down-loadable fonts.  The file
was printed to disk on the PC, and then uploaded to the UNIX box at
work.  The file will not print on the Laserwriter, nor will ULTRIX's
previewer understand it.  I looked at a book on PostScript and cannot
find any commands like the ones in the file.

Does anyone understand what this thing is and what should be done to
make it work?
------------------------------cut-----------------------------------
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
PSp 15840 SFL
1872 720 P
1872 960 P 0 12 F () S 1512 J ( Works) S 144 J ( / PostScript torture test header.) S 0 12 F
1872 1440 P
1872 1680 P 0 12 F (Guess) S 144 J ( which word in this sentence is in ) S B (boldface) S E (?) S 0 12 F
1872 1920 P 0 12 F (This) S 144 J ( line has a hidden pointer before the word bookmark.) S 0 12 F
1728 2640 P 57 12 F (ZDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?) S 0 12 F
1872 2880 P 576 J ( ) S 0 12 F (This) S 144 J ( paragraph should have a border around it.  Some) S 0 12 F
1728 2880 P 57 12 F (3) S 8640 J ( 3) S 0 12 F
1872 3120 P 144 J ( ) S 0 12 F (printers do not have the border characters necessary to do) S 0 12 F
1728 3120 P 57 12 F (3) S 8640 J ( 3) S 0 12 F
1872 3360 P 1296 J ( ) S 0 12 F (the) S 144 J ( job.  The text should also be centred.) S 0 12 F
1728 3360 P 57 12 F (3) S 8640 J ( 3) S 0 12 F
1728 3600 P 57 12 F (@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY) S 0 12 F
1872 4320 P 2592 J ( ) S 0 12 F LU (This) S 144 J ( text is underlined.) S LE 0 12 F
1872 4560 P 2592 J ( ) S 0 12 F I (This) S 144 J ( line is in italics.) S E 0 12 F
1872 4640 P 3648 J ( ) S 0 4 F LS (This) S 48 J ( line has strikethrough.) S LE 0 12 F
1872 4880 P 0 4 F () S 1488 J ( ) S 0 12 F 0 12 F (1) S 0 12 F 0 4 F () S 288 J ( ) S 0 12 F
1872 4960 P 0 4 F (This) S 48 J ( line cannot be illustrated) S 0 12 F 0 12 F () S 144 J ( ) S 0 12 F 0 4 F () S 48 J ( here.) S 0 12 F
1872 5200 P 0 12 F (1) S () S 4464 J ( ) S 0 12 F
1872 5280 P 0 12 F () S 144 J ( ) S (It is shown here in a footnote.) S 0 12 F
1872 15120 P
1872 15360 P 0 12 F () S 2880 J ( Torture) S 144 J ( test footer.) S 0 12 F
PE PSe
--------------------------tuc----------------------
Thanks,
--gk.

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (01/05/91)

It looks very much as though what's missing is a header that defines all
those terse operators S, P, B etc.  Possibly the design package is
missing an auxiliary file containing the necessary header, or somehow
assuming that the printer has already been loaded with the definitions.
If the file in question was "page 3 of N," for instance, the defs might
be assumed rather than repeated.

--
"NASA Announces New Deck Chair Arrangement For   \_/  Tom Neff
Space Station Titanic" -- press release 89-7654  \_/  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (01/05/91)

In article <2548@clyde.concordia.ca> gpkatch@maxwell.Concordia.CA (Gary Katch) writes:
<
<Does anyone understand what this thing is and what should be done to
<make it work?
<------------------------------cut-----------------------------------
<%!PS-Adobe-2.0
<PSp 15840 SFL
<1872 720 P
<1872 960 P 0 12 F () S 1512 J ( Works) S 144 J ( / PostScript torture test header.) S 0 12 F
<1872 1440 P

[...]

Looks like you are missing the prolog that defines the procedures that are
being executed.  Most software that creates PostScript programs write a
prolog file the defines a bunch of procedures, making the PostScript file
alot smaller.

You are missing said file.  I suspect that the program outputs the prolog
separately.  Call the company involved and ask them how you can get the
prolog printed.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

bb@sandbar.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (01/05/91)

(Gary Katch) writes:

> The text below was produced by MicroSoft Works word processor, with
> chosen printer Apple Laserwriter II with down-loadable fonts.  The file
> was printed to disk on the PC, and then uploaded to the UNIX box at
> work.  The file will not print on the Laserwriter, nor will ULTRIX's
> previewer understand it.  I looked at a book on PostScript and cannot
> find any commands like the ones in the file.

This file illustrates what some consider to be a deplorable style of
application-writing.  The application has assumed that its own
personal dictionary defining each of these operators has already been
downloaded to the printer, and made resident.  The deplorable part is
that, as we have found running 5 or 10 Postscript-speaking
applications on 100 Suns, each package wants its own dictionary loaded
resident in the printer.  Not only does this fill up the memory of the
printer and cause name conflicts, but then the laserprinter password
has to be embedded in n different applications.  Yuck.

You should be able to find some sort of switch or setup toggle on
Works that will make it dump the prologue defining these operators at
the head of the file.  You might have to fool Works into thinking that
each printout is the first made to the printer since a powerup (hence
the prologue is needed to be downloaded).

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!mathlab.math.ufl.edu!bb

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (01/06/91)

In article <2548@clyde.concordia.ca>, gpkatch@maxwell.Concordia.CA (Gary Katch) writes:
> was printed to disk on the PC, and then uploaded to the UNIX box at
You are missing the preamble.  I assume that you are working under windows?
The preamble may be already preloaded to your printer by windows.  If you are
not working under windows, you probably will find a file on the disk that
has the preamble in it.  For microsoft word, it is something like
postscrp.ini

This file would need to be concatinated to the front of your disk file
inorder to make it work.  Under windows, the  preamble should have been
sent with the file, unless it is loaded ahead of time.  In that case, there
should be an entry in win.ini that reflects that
Cheers
Woody

mzellers@starnet.uucp (Mark Zellers) (01/18/91)

In article <2548@clyde.concordia.ca> gpkatch@maxwell.Concordia.CA (Gary Katch) writes:
>The text below was produced by MicroSoft Works word processor, with
>chosen printer Apple Laserwriter II with down-loadable fonts.  The file
>was printed to disk on the PC, and then uploaded to the UNIX box at
>work.  The file will not print on the Laserwriter, nor will ULTRIX's
>previewer understand it.  I looked at a book on PostScript and cannot
>find any commands like the ones in the file.
>
>Does anyone understand what this thing is and what should be done to

It would appear that there is a procedure file that Microsoft Works
downloads to the printer.  The mysterious commands are really PostScript
procedures defined by Microsoft's download file.  Check your
distribution to see if you can find Microsoft's "header" file that
defineds these procedures.  For example, you might find things like
	/S {show} bind def

Once you find the appropriate header file, you may be able to cat it on
to the front of your file and then print the whole thing.

Good Luck.

Mark H. Zellers
decwrl.dec.com!voltaire!bwayne!mark