[comp.lang.postscript] help: merge printing PS files in MS Word

cthomas@f.adelaide.edu.au (01/18/91)

Hi from Oz

Is there any way to merge print postscript files with standard Microsoft
Word 5 document files on a standard postscript printer using an IBM
compatible.  Specifically I want to use a postscript routine to put a
letterhead on a blank page along with the text of a letter.  I have a
postscript routine to use, but have been unable to implement it.

Can any one help please?

Replies to:
Dr Connor J Thomas
Department of Microbiology and Immunology
University of Adelaide
Adelaide
South Australia
cthomas@f.adelaide.edu.au

jcb@wucs1.wustl.edu (James Christopher Beard) (01/22/91)

In article <1806@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>> Is there any way to merge print postscript files with standard Microsoft
>> compatible.  Specifically I want to use a postscript routine to put a
>> letterhead on a blank page along with the text of a letter.  I have a
>

>I don't know about merge printing, in the sense of say a mail merge, but
>it is my understanding that you can include postscript code directly
>in a MS document.  You then mark it as hidden.  When you print the file,
>you specify that you want hidden text to be printed.  It will send the
>postscript to the printer.  As long as you bracket the code with a gsae
> gsave/grestore pair you should be o.k.

One modification to the above: the text should be formatted using the
"Postscript" style, rather than just the "Hidden" format.  The
Postscript style has "hidden" as one of its elements, so you do need
to specify that hidden text should be printed, as Woody says.  To
access the Postscript style, hold down the shift key while selecting
"Styles" from the Format menu (or, if you like to use the keyboard,
press shift-command S, then type "post"--or any initial substring of
"PostScript" long enough to distiguish it from your other styles--and
return).

James Beard
beard@informatics.wustl.edu