[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript Laser Printer for $995.

The January 1991 Computer Shopper has an ad for a $995 PostScript
Laser Printer from The Printer Works.  This is a refurbished Canon
LBP-CX engine (new engine add $300), and a QMS JetScript controller,
which is a IBM-PC card that controls the printer.  They also have
JetScript upgrades for the HP LaserJet, LaserJet Plus, and LaserJet II.

Does anyone know if this is any good?

They don't say if they're using Adobe's PostScript interpreter,
although they do say that they're using Adobe fonts.

I'm thinking about taking one of these puppies, putting it in a PC
clone, dropping in an Ethernet card, then running a freeware LPD.
I'm printing moby PostScript files, some as large as 4 MB, and I
want to be able to send data faster than 9600 baud.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> Humble Quaker, and damned proud of it.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (02/07/91)

In article <NELSON.91Feb4000950@sun.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> The January 1991 Computer Shopper has an ad for a $995 PostScript
> LBP-CX engine (new engine add $300), and a QMS JetScript controller,

The Jetscript controller was originaly developed for the HP LaserJet II.
There apparently is a minor modification that one can make to the board
to allow it to work with the CX engine.  It uses a Genuine Adobe Postscript
(downloaded from disk and encrypted).  One of the people who worked on it
is over at Compaq now.  I have found that the Jetscript product is fast
(a 68000 and 3 meg of memory), and efficient.  QMS can tell you how to
control it from Unix running on the PC.  There are a large number of
surplus ones running around right now.  It used to sell for $2700, but
last I knew, HP was dumping them for 495.00.  This $995 solution
looks like a pretty good deal to me.
Cheers
Woody