[comp.lang.postscript] I need a program to PRINT the printer's status

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (02/06/91)

I'm looking for a postscript program which will print out a report of
the printer's status.  I particularly concerned with whether or not
any of my downloaded fonts are actually still in the printer after the
print job is completed.

I heard that you cannot actually tell whether a type-1 font has been
downloaded or not.  That's fine.  If I could find out how much memory
I have left for downloadable fonts, that's basically the same thing.
I could then download one font, check the amount of memory, download
another, and check again.

Also, stuff like whether color is available, and whether the last
print job was successful or terminated in error, etc.

I'm sure many people would find this a great debugging aid.

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
Sadder still to watch it die                                a.k.a. Timur Tabi
Then never to have known it                      Internet: timur@seas.gwu.edu
For you - the blind who once could see -         Bitnet:         HE891C@GWUVM
The bell tolls for thee                  -- Rush

asmith@micor.ocunix.on.ca (adam smith) (02/08/91)

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:

> I'm looking for a postscript program which will print out a report of
> the printer's status.  I particularly concerned with whether or not
> any of my downloaded fonts are actually still in the printer after the
> print job is completed.

There are a number of great programs that do this. It depends on what
platform you are using. The bottom line though is always this...
The status report that they all print ought to be a short postscript program
that polls various bits of hard and form ware for their condition and then
includes that in a printer report. And yes it ought to print a full list of
fonts available.
The PC-based "PSExecutive", which is supplied free to QMS Printer owners,
has a couple of fine routines and is relatively common. If worst comes to
worst, just ask a QMS user to put "status.ps" or any of the other routines
onto a disk and use a downloader to run it.