[comp.lang.postscript] Wanted: PS program to clear printer's memory

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (02/02/91)

I'm looking for a postscript program that will reset the printer and
clear all of it's memory (i.e. remove fonts and any resident programs).
I don't know the first thing about PS programming (and neither does
anyone on the staff), so I have to ask here.

As a bonus, if someone could tell me how to incorporate it into my
Windows 3.0 outputs, that would most cool.  It's not necessary, though.
Thanx a million!!!

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
Sadder still to watch it die                                a.k.a. Timur Tabi
Then never to have known it                      Internet: timur@seas.gwu.edu
For you - the blind who once could see -         Bitnet:         HE891C@GWUVM
The bell tolls for thee                  -- Rush

mzellers@starnet.uucp (Mark Zellers) (02/10/91)

In article <2668@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu () writes:

>I'm looking for a postscript program that will reset the printer and
>clear all of it's memory (i.e. remove fonts and any resident programs).
>I don't know the first thing about PS programming (and neither does
>anyone on the staff), so I have to ask here.

A little known, undocumented trick to be able to remove things from the
printers memory:

*** Prior to downloading your fonts and resident programs:

		%!
		serverdict begin 0 exitserver
		/MagicCookie save def

*** Then, to remove anything downloaded since the initial download:

		%!
		serverdict begin 0 exitserver
		MagicCookie restore
		/MagicCookie save def

The trade off in using this technique is that it uses up one of the
available save levels.  This is generally not a problem, since few
PostScript programs use all of the available levels, but it is something
that you may want to be aware of.

Mark H. Zellers
decwrl.dec.com!voltaire!bwayne!mark