[comp.lang.postscript] My LaserWritter II dies %

zaval@athena.mit.edu (Antonios J Zavaliangos) (02/12/91)

Suddenly my LaserWriter stopped printing and it spits out blank pages. %-(
It doesn't even print the test page. There was a message in its log file
which looks like this:

%%[ exitserver: permanent state may be changed ]%%
VM status - 511316(total), 155103(used), 356213(remaining), 0(level)

Any clue or hint. Any possibility I can do something before I call up
for service.

Thanks

Antonis (zaval@athena.mit.edu  zaval@prager.mit.edu)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb12.154326.16528@athena.mit.edu>, zaval@athena.mit.edu (Antonios J Zavaliangos) writes:

> Suddenly my LaserWriter stopped printing and it spits out blank pages. %-(
> It doesn't even print the test page. There was a message in its log file

You can test sx engines by locating the test button on the right side
(looking from the front), down near the bottom.  Pushing the button that
is buried down in the hole (use a long slender piece of something),
should generate a page of fine lines.  If this is not happening, then the
engine is bad.  If it does, then the controller is bad perhaps.
try sending the following to it.

/Helvetica findfont 25 scalefont setfont
100 100 moveto
(are we alive?) show
showpage
^D

This should print out a page.  If it does, then something is messed
up upline.
if not, call for help.
Cheers
Woody

u12570@uicvm.uic.edu (Ed Garay) (02/17/91)

Make sure the transfer corona wire isn't broken.
Open the printer and you shall see a 12" x .3" strip, around
the middle/bottom section, with some thin wire running diagonally.
A broken corona wire is one of the reasons why one would get blank
pages.

--- Ed