[comp.lang.postscript] Looking for official size of A4 paper

6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (02/19/91)

I'm looking for the "official" size for A4 paper.  I've looked in
three different places so far, and have three different answers.  Sigh.
It appears to be around 21cm x 29.7cm, but I'd like the true size,
if it is, in fact, standardized.

Thanks for your help.
--
Brian L. Matthews	6sigma2@polari.UUCP

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (02/20/91)

6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:

>I'm looking for the "official" size for A4 paper.  I've looked in
>three different places so far, and have three different answers.  Sigh.
>It appears to be around 21cm x 29.7cm, but I'd like the true size,
>if it is, in fact, standardized.

The figure you give is correct.
Paper sizes in the A,B,C, and D series are DIN norms
(you can track them through the British or American -- I can't
see where you're from -- bureau of standards),
and as far as I know:

A0 has a surface of 1m^2 with a 2^.5 ratio between the
sides, meaning halfing a sheet Ai gives Ai+1 of the same shape.

B0 has sides 1m x 2^.5m

C, D: I don't know.

Victor.

jlister@slhisc.uucp (John Lister) (02/21/91)

In article <3390@polari.UUCP> 6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>I'm looking for the "official" size for A4 paper.  I've looked in
>three different places so far, and have three different answers.  Sigh.
>It appears to be around 21cm x 29.7cm, but I'd like the true size,
>if it is, in fact, standardized.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>--
>Brian L. Matthews	6sigma2@polari.UUCP

A0 is one square meter, divided in such a ratio so that when you fold it in
half, the shape of the paper is the same.  If you can remember some algebra,
this works out to be that the ratio is one to square root of 2.  Thus, the
sizes of the various sheets are (worked out to the nearest millimeter):

A0   841 * 1189 mm
A1   595 *  841 mm
A2   420 *  595 mm
A3   297 *  420 mm
A4   210 *  297 mm

You can work the sizes out exactly, but my experience in the paper business is
that the rotary cutters which are used to produce bond paper are only accurate
to 1/2mm anyway.

John Lister.