[comp.lang.postscript] Can a FrameMaker PostScript file be made "normal"?

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (02/20/91)

One of my main gripes about FrameMaker is it's inability to generate
encapsulated PostScript.  However, at least for TeX, single-page
FrameMaker output can be used in \specials by redefining /letter and
/showpage.

-jim

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/20/91)

[This article was originally post to alt.text.dwb as well, but that newsgroup
doesn't get this far and my system doesn't know about it and died when trying
to post this reply.  Cross posting the alt newsgroups is a dangerous thing to
do.  I can only suggest posting said articles separately.]

In article <1991Feb19.134533.20409@cbnewsk.att.com> wsg@cbnewsk.cb.att.com (wendy.grohol) writes:
<Someone I know is trying to take a PostScript file created
<with FrameMaker and include it in a troff document using
<mpictures.
<
<Unfortunately, FrameMaker doesn't create your run of the mill
<PostScript file. It prints fine by itself, but when I include
<it in a troff document, I get the following error:
<
<		ERROR: typecheck
<		OFFENDING COMMAND: setfont
<		STACK: -null-
<
<It turns out that FrameMaker omits the usual first line:
<		%!PS-Adobe-1.0
<The file states: "Due to bugs in Transcript, the 'PS-Adobe-'
<		  is omitted from line 1"
<
<When I add the "PS-Adobe-" line I get the same error as before.
<
<Is there something I can do to this file to make it usuable
<by mpictures to include the FrameMaker PostScript file in the
<troff document?

FrameMaker PostScript files are normal.  What you are really looking for is
an Encapsulated PostScript file, which FrameMaker doesn't put out.  Keep in
mind that troff doesn't put out EPS files either.  If you tried including
troff output into troff output I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work
either.

I've been doing a bit lately including files into troff output and the
included text has to be insulated from the orginal troff document's PostScript
code.  If using psdit.pro, the PB and PE PostScript procedures need to surround
the included text.  If you aren't using Adobe's TranScript, I have no idea
what you need to do to insulate the FrameMaker code from troff.  It all
depends on the prolog that is used and the environment that is set up by that
prolog program.

Good luck.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

leland@cs.columbia.edu (Lee Woodbury) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.134533.20409@cbnewsk.att.com> wsg@cbnewsk.cb.att.com (wendy.grohol) writes:
>Someone I know is trying to take a PostScript file created
>with FrameMaker and include it in a troff document using
>mpictures.
>
>Is there something I can do to this file to make it usuable
>by mpictures to include the FrameMaker PostScript file in the
>troff document?

If you're using ditroff, check out psfig.  It's a pre-processor (a la
pic, grap, eqn, and tbl) for including PostScript files in documents
generated from ditroff source.

There are two versions of psfig, one for embedding PostScript figures in
ditroff source and another for doing so in TeX source.  These are
available in volume 11 and volume 8, respectively, of the
comp.sources.unix archives (available via anonymous ftp from
uunet.uu.net and elsewhere).  Alternatively, it's also available via
anonymous ftp from linc.cis.upenn.edu and this may be a more recent
version, since that's whence the authors hail.

You may still need to make some minor modifications to your FrameMaker
document, but I think psfig for ditroff is pretty robust; it doesn't
require EPSF (Encapsulated PostScript File Format) files.

Good luck.

Leland Woodbury
ARPANET/INTERNET: leland@cs.columbia.edu
	  USENET: ...!columbia!cs.columbia.edu!leland
	  BITNET: leland%cs.columbia.edu@cuvmb
	  USMAIL: Columbia Univ., 457 CS, 500 W. 120 St., NYC 10027-6699
       TELEPHONE: 212-854-8109
	     FAX: 212-666-0140