[comp.lang.postscript] Getting Transcript 2.1 to use all LaserWriter Fonts

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (02/12/91)

Is there any magic I need to perform to convince transcript to use all of
the builtin laser writer fonts?

Thanks.
--
Dan Ehrlich - Sr. Systems Programmer - Penn State Computer Science
<ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

In article <*fcG4w.k@cs.psu.edu> I wrote::

Dan> Is there any magic I need to perform to convince transcript to use all of
Dan> the builtin laser writer fonts?

Let me clarify this.  What I really meant to as was how do I convience
ptroff, the shell script which runs troff, to use a built in font that adobe
did not already build the troff font files for?  By default the transcript
installation only builds troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier,
Garamond, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the other ~22 fonts
my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?

Thanks again.  I hope this is more clearly stated than my last attempt.
--

snichols@adobe.com (Sherri Nichols) (02/13/91)

In article <ip6G8#hl@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>did not already build the troff font files for?  By default the transcript
>installation only builds troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier,
>Garamond, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
>Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the other ~22 fonts
>my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?

Those *are* all the fonts your printer knows about.  The names above refer
to "font families", not typefaces.  Font families are collections of
typefaces, e.g. the Times family contains Times-Roman, Times-Bold,
Times-Italic, and Times-BoldItalic.

Have you tried to use a font on your printer with ptroff and been
unsuccessful?

Sherri Nichols
snichols@adobe.com

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/13/91)

In article <*fcG4w.k@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
<Is there any magic I need to perform to convince transcript to use all of
<the builtin laser writer fonts?

Reinstall the TranScript 2.1 software with the option to use all of the fonts.
Read the documentation, as all is explained.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (02/14/91)

In article <ip6G8#hl@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>In article <*fcG4w.k@cs.psu.edu> I wrote::

>Dan> Is there any magic I need to perform to convince transcript to use all of
>Dan> the builtin laser writer fonts?

>Let me clarify this.  What I really meant to as was how do I convience
>ptroff, the shell script which runs troff, to use a built in font that adobe
>did not already build the troff font files for?  By default the transcript
>installation only builds troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier,
>Garamond, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
>Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the other ~22 fonts
>my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?

Psroff (the one I wrote, NOT transcript) has a postscript program that you send
to your printer, and it will send a shar file back to the host computer that
contains ditroff format width tables for the fonts you want.  Psroff also
contains software to convert ditroff width table files into CAT troff width
tables.  So, whether you're working with CAT or di- troff psroff has what
you want.

Contact me if you want more info.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/14/91)

In article <ip6G8#hl@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
<In article <*fcG4w.k@cs.psu.edu> I wrote::
<
<Dan> Is there any magic I need to perform to convince transcript to use all of
<Dan> the builtin laser writer fonts?
<
<Let me clarify this.  What I really meant to as was how do I convience
<ptroff, the shell script which runs troff, to use a built in font that adobe
<did not already build the troff font files for?  By default the transcript
<installation only builds troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier,
<Garamond, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
<Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the other ~22 fonts
<my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?

Good thing you re-stated the question, because my previous answer will be
wrong.

I think that you are SOL.  That version of TranScript just doesn't have the
other font families built in.

Maybe someone from Adobe could pipe in and let us know if the adobe-server
has files for the other fonts that can be added to the current TranScript.
--

snichols@adobe.com (Sherri Nichols) (02/15/91)

In article <1398@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>In article <ip6G8#hl@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
><Let me clarify this.  What I really meant to as was how do I convience
><ptroff, the shell script which runs troff, to use a built in font that adobe
><did not already build the troff font files for?  By default the transcript
><installation only builds troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier,
><Garamond, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
><Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the other ~22 fonts
><my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?
>
>Good thing you re-stated the question, because my previous answer will be
>wrong.
>
>I think that you are SOL.  That version of TranScript just doesn't have the
>other font families built in.

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion on this point.  A LaserWriter
II NTX has 35 font *typefaces* built in.  All 35 typefaces are covered by
the above list of font families.  TranScript creates, from AFM files, troff
font width files for each typeface.  Each font family consists of several
typefaces, which are mapped to the 4 font positions troff understands.
By default, ptroff uses the Times family, consisting of Times-Roman,
Times-Italic, etc.  To use a different font family with ptroff, you can use
the -F switch to specify one of the above family names.

Sherri Nichols
snichols@adobe.com

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/18/91)

In article <11151@adobe.UUCP> snichols@adobe.COM (Sherri Nichols) writes:
<In article <1398@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<>In article <ip6G8#hl@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
<><Let me clarify this.  What I really meant to as was how do I convience
<><ptroff, the shell script which runs troff, to use a built in font that adobe
<><did not already build the troff font files for?  By default the transcript
<><installation only builds troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier,
<><Garamond, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
<><Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the other ~22 fonts
<><my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?
<>
<>Good thing you re-stated the question, because my previous answer will be
<>wrong.
<>
<>I think that you are SOL.  That version of TranScript just doesn't have the
<>other font families built in.
<
<There seems to be a fair amount of confusion on this point.  A LaserWriter
<II NTX has 35 font *typefaces* built in.  All 35 typefaces are covered by
<the above list of font families.  TranScript creates, from AFM files, troff
<typefaces, which are mapped to the 4 font positions troff understands.
<By default, ptroff uses the Times family, consisting of Times-Roman,
<Times-Italic, etc.  To use a different font family with ptroff, you can use
<the -F switch to specify one of the above family names.

The II NTX printer is the unit with a hard disk, if I remember correctly,
since I have the II NT.  Because of the hard disk, more font families can
be resident, non of which are covered by TranScript.
--

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (02/19/91)

In article <ip6G8#hl@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:

    *  Let me clarify this.  What I really meant to as was how do I
    *  convience ptroff, the shell script which runs troff, to use a
    *  built in font that adobe did not already build the troff font
    *  files for?  By default the transcript installation only builds
    *  troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier, Garamond,
    *  Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
    *  Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the
    *  other ~22 fonts my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?

Start by looking at the TranScript Manual page pscatmap(8).

Remember that old troff can only mount four fonts at a time.
Use the -F command line option to ptroff to switch font groups.

	........  Henry

In article <1406@vidiot.UUCP>, brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

    *  The II NTX printer is the unit with a hard disk,
    *  if I remember correctly, since I have the II NT.
    *  Because of the hard disk, more font families can
    *  be resident, non of which are covered by TranScript.

To the best of my admittedly minuscule knowledge, there is nothing
intrinsic to TranScript that will prevent TranScript, or more
precisely, troff and pscat, from working with any font family you desire.

For old troff to correctly format a document using a given font
family, it needs width tables which pscatmap generates from AFM
files.  pscat needs a correspondence file to map character codes
to PostScript strings.  pscatmap builds this correspondence file also.

That's all there is to it -- there are no fonts `built into
TranScript'.  troff can access any fonts, with the understanding you
obtain or create AFM files so pscatmap can generate tables for troff
and pscat, and old troff can only mount four fonts.  I omit the case
of eight-font C/A/T troff.  TranScript has no notion of
printer-resident fonts, downloaded fonts, disk-resident fonts, or
indeed, any idea how to download a font.  TranScript doesn't `cover'
fonts at all -- it's just a translation/communication service.

I hope the original requestor obtained the information he
requested because we'be drifted (too far) off the topic.

	........  Henry

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/20/91)

In article <446@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:
[...]

TranScript is a complete package name, included the programs psroff, ptroff,
psdit, pscat, enscript, etc.  You are correct that font width tables are needed
and the set that comes with TranScript is NOT enough to cover anything but the
fonts that come on the standard LaserWriter II printers (with a couple of
extra).  This user needs the other font table information so that he can get
TranScript set up to use other fonts that he has on his printer.  As TranScript
is currently shipped, he can't.

So, does Adobe have available through its mailserver the necessary files for
the other fonts in the printer?  Adobe will have to answer that question.
--

snichols@adobe.com (Sherri Nichols) (02/20/91)

In article <1406@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>The II NTX printer is the unit with a hard disk, if I remember correctly,
>since I have the II NT.  Because of the hard disk, more font families can
>be resident, non of which are covered by TranScript.

The II NTX printer does not come with a hard disk.  A hard disk can be
attached to it.  Given the way the original poster phrased his question
(listing the family names, counting them out, and coming up 22 short of 35)
I didn't get the impression he had a hard disk with extra fonts.

Sherri Nichols
snichols@adobe.com

In article <11293@adobe.UUCP> snichols@adobe.COM (Sherri Nichols) writes:
<In article <1406@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<>The II NTX printer is the unit with a hard disk, if I remember correctly,
<>since I have the II NT.  Because of the hard disk, more font families can
<>be resident, non of which are covered by TranScript.
<
<The II NTX printer does not come with a hard disk.  A hard disk can be
<attached to it.  Given the way the original poster phrased his question
<(listing the family names, counting them out, and coming up 22 short of 35)
<I didn't get the impression he had a hard disk with extra fonts.

What made me go in the direction that I did was because he listed the Garramond
font, which isn't part of the LaserWriter IINT series.  At least it isn't in
my printer.  So I guessed that he had a hard disk on his printer and was
trying to access the fonts loaded on the disk.

I too first leaned toward his not counting the fonts correctly.  So, I guess
we need to hear back from the original posted as to what font familes are
actually in his printer.  Since most font families have four fonts, it doesn't
take long to get to the original 35 count.

What a mess when the description of the fonts in the printer isn't
standardized.  Well, maybe it is, but I don't like how they cheat the count.
"Wow, 35 fonts in my printer.  Gee all kinds of different kinds of type
styles."  That is, until you find out that for almost all of the font faces,
the printer people used up four of those fonts.  Same font face, just a
different slant on life (pun intended).  Instead of 35, you have eight font
faces with four styles and three other single font faces.  Not exactly a
whole bunch of fonts, is it? :-)
--

snichols@adobe.com (Sherri Nichols) (02/21/91)

In article <1415@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>TranScript is a complete package name, included the programs psroff, ptroff,
>psdit, pscat, enscript, etc.  You are correct that font width tables are needed
>and the set that comes with TranScript is NOT enough to cover anything but the
>fonts that come on the standard LaserWriter II printers (with a couple of
>extra).

TranScript, as it is currently shipped, comes with AFM files for 12 font
families.  These AFM files are used (among other things) to create the
troff and ditroff font width files.  These 12 font families map to 51 font
typefaces.  At installation time, you can build font width files for any
and all of these font families, and the installation script has certain
combinations (the "standard 13" of the old LaserWriters, the "standard 35
of newer LaserWriters *and* many other PostScript printers, the usual DEC
printer fonts, and the usual AB Dick printer fonts) already set up for you.

>This user needs the other font table information so that he can get
>TranScript set up to use other fonts that he has on his printer.  As TranScript
>is currently shipped, he can't.

This does not appear to be the original poster's problem.  I explicitly
asked for a font name that he wanted to use, but couldn't, so I could help
him with the process of making that font available.   No response.  My
conclusion is that the poster was confused about the difference between
font typefaces and font families.

>So, does Adobe have available through its mailserver the necessary files for
>the other fonts in the printer?  Adobe will have to answer that question.

Adobe has, on its mailserver, AFM files for all fonts sold by Adobe.
Additionally, when you buy a font, it comes with AFM files.   The problem
is that the process of adding additional font width files after the fact is
cumbersome.

Sherri Nichols
snichols@adobe.com

rob@aeras.uucp (Rob Rogers) (02/21/91)

In article <ip6G8#hl@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> Is there any magic I need to perform to convince transcript to use all of
> the builtin laser writer fonts?
>
>Let me clarify this.  What I really meant to as was how do I convience
>ptroff, the shell script which runs troff, to use a built in font that adobe
>did not already build the troff font files for?  By default the transcript
>installation only builds troff font data for AvantGarde, Bookman, Courier,
>Garamond, Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, Lubalin, New Century School Book,
>Optima, Palatino, Souvenir, Times, and Zapf.  What about the other ~22 fonts
>my LaserWriter II NTX knows about?
>--
>Dan Ehrlich - Sr. Systems Programmer - Penn State Computer Science

A note on fonts:
Helvetica is _not_ a font - it is a _Font Family_

The Laserwriter (Plus/II/IINTX/equiv.) has 35 fonts built-in-
(I didn't make up the names, these are directly from the ROM's)
(Book=Roman, Oblique=Italic, Demi=Bold)

AvantGuard-Book, AvantGuard-BookOblique, AvantGuard-Demi,
AvantGuard-DemiOblique, Bookman-Demi, Bookman-DemiItalic,
Bookman-Light, Bookman-LightItalic, Curier, Curier-Bold
Curier-BoldOblique Curier-Oblique, Helvetica, Helvetica-Bold
Helvetica-BoldOblique, Helvetica-Oblique, Helvetica-Narrow
Helvetica-Narrow-Bold, Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique
Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique, NewCenturySchlbk-Roman
NewCenturySchlbk-Bold, NewCenturySchlbk-BoldOblique
NewCenturySchlbk-Oblique, Palatino-Roman
Palatino-Bold, Palatino-Italic, Palatino-BoldItalic
Symbol, Times-Bold, Times-BoldItalic, Times-Italic
Times-Roman, ZapfChancery-MediumItalic, ZapfDingbats
|_____Courier
|_____Seattle

(The last 2 are defaults for when you don't define a font.)

If you count 'em , I think you'll come up with about 35 (37 counting
the 2 you can't get to). Garamond, Lubalin, Optima and Souvenir are extras
that are downloaded into the printers RAM just like a document - _beyond_
what is built-in to the printer.

Actually, in art/printing circles, each _size_ of a font type (not even font
family) used to be considered a different font (in a Postscript printer,
you could leagally say you have _THOUSANDS_ of fonts - if you wanted to
start an ad war).

It's worse than you thought----

 I belive this is what the nice lady from adobe.com was trying to say.
--
	Rob Rogers
	Art Director, ARIX Computer Corporation