[comp.lang.postscript] Font Directory Printing

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/19/91)

I'm currently trying to get a directory of all fonts on a given
PostScript device, dynamically, from a PS Program. In this case the
PS device in question is my NeXTCube 030, running NS2.0.

I am using a line straight from the Adobe Red Book to do this:

	(*) proc scratch /Font resourceforall

where scratch is a string, and proc is a procedure to display some text
in the returned font.

When the interpreter gets to this line, I get:

	%%[ Error:undefined; OffendingCommand:resourceforall ]%%

That seems to imply that NeXTStep doesn't have a full implementation
of PostScript Level 2!!!

HEY ADOBE! HEY NEXT! Can anyone substantiate this? I'd like to find
out that I'm just doing something drastically wrong. That would
normally be the case. If not, can someone tell me a Level 1 way
to print ALL fonts available for a given PS device?

Thanks,
MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (02/21/91)

>That seems to imply that NeXTStep doesn't have a full implementation
>of PostScript Level 2!!!

I've seen it mentioned before (here I think) that the Display
Postscript Interpreter on the NeXT is about PostScript level 1.5. That
is, it implements many of the features of level 2 (binary encoding,
display postscript, color extensions, etc), but _not all_.

Dan

--
Daniel Mark Gessel
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (02/23/91)

In article <GESSEL.91Feb21105816@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:

>I've seen it mentioned before (here I think) that the Display
>Postscript Interpreter on the NeXT is about PostScript level 1.5. That
>is, it implements many of the features of level 2 (binary encoding,
>display postscript, color extensions, etc), but _not all_.

  BZZZZ. Sorry. My 2.0 Release has a PostScript version of 2.0.45.8. (This
is Workspace Version 217, System Release 2.0). So it does indeed appear
that the postscript version is level 2.0.

	- jiro
--
Jiro Nakamura				uunet!shaman!jiro
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

mikec@wor.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb22.183856.1400@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>In article <GESSEL.91Feb21105816@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
>>
>>I've seen it mentioned before (here I think) that the Display
>>Postscript Interpreter on the NeXT is about PostScript level 1.5. That
>>is, it implements many of the features of level 2 (binary encoding,
>>display postscript, color extensions, etc), but _not all_.
>
>  BZZZZ. Sorry. My 2.0 Release has a PostScript version of 2.0.45.8. (This
>is Workspace Version 217, System Release 2.0). So it does indeed appear
>that the postscript version is level 2.0.

Well, my PostScript version on my NeXT says the same thing. That doesn't
alter the fact that it refuses to deal with Level 2 PostScript operators.

Apparently, it is NOT Level 2 PostScript, but VERSION 2 of whatever level
Adobe decided to use in NeXTStep.

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.183856.1400@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) wrote:
> In article <GESSEL.91Feb21105816@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
>>
>>I've seen it mentioned before (here I think) that the Display
>>Postscript Interpreter on the NeXT is about PostScript level 1.5. That
>>is, it implements many of the features of level 2 (binary encoding,
>>display postscript, color extensions, etc), but _not all_.
>
>   BZZZZ. Sorry. My 2.0 Release has a PostScript version of 2.0.45.8. (This
> is Workspace Version 217, System Release 2.0). So it does indeed appear
> that the postscript version is level 2.0.

Testy testy...  Did you consider the possibility that that "2" refers to the
major version of the NeXT release?  The PS2 spec has only been out for a month
or two, give it some time!

I interpreted the "about 1.5" mentioned above to mean that the NeXT had about
half of the functionality that was added between v1 and v2.  Do you really
think that adobe has a list of which language elements existed at, say,
version 1.8?  PostScript version 2 is a specification, not an implementation.
Version numbers don't mean the same thing.

		-- Jamie