[net.micro] PD Dosedit program

sandy@uhpgvax.UUCP (07/17/86)

	I would like any information anyone has on
how to set up aliases for the Public Domain version
of 'dosedit'.  When run it just gives me

	Alias list:

and then my prompt back.  How do I add to this list.
The program seems to be really good, especially as I work
with T-shell in UNIX.

	Is there a way to expand the size of the history in this
dosedit program?

	Please reply directly to me, or to this new group.

	Thanks in advance.

To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before....
And When There...Hide!
Alastair (Sandy) Phipps                  University of Hawaii
                                         Hawaii Institute of Geophysics
ihnp4!arizona!uhmanoa!uhpgvax!sandy      Planetary Geosciences Division
ihnp4!nosvax!humu!uhmanoa!uhpgvax!sandy  2525 Correa Rd.
                                         Honolulu, HI. 96822

(work) (808) 948-6488   [9:00 am to 5:30pm HST]

rde@ukc.UUCP (07/21/86)

I  know  this  isn't  a  real  answer,  but try to get hold of a copy of
CED. It seems to contain all the DOSEDIT functionality, and a  lot  more
besides. The basic control keys are the same. The documentation is good.

TANSTAAFL  -  it  *is* bigger, but *much* better. I wouldn't use DOSEDIT
now....
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

uncacc@ecsvax.UUCP (Mike Honeycutt) (07/24/86)

I use the alias list in this way:
            . Create an ASCII file with your commands.  My file
              looks like this:
		  d = dir

		  ^Z  <-----Control Z
            . Start the program with NDOSEDIT ALIAS.LST <ENTER>
 	    . ALIAS.LST is the name of the file with your commands.
              (ALIAS.LST can be any name you choose)
This is a basic example.  The program is more complex (I deleted the
documentation by mistake).

Good Luck[D
Mike

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (07/31/86)

In article <125@uhpgvax.UUCP> sandy@uhpgvax.UUCP (Sandy Phipps) writes:
>	I would like any information anyone has on
>how to set up aliases for the Public Domain version
>of 'dosedit'.  When run it just gives me
>
>	Alias list:
>
>and then my prompt back.  How do I add to this list.
>The program seems to be really good, especially as I work
>with T-shell in UNIX.
>
>	Is there a way to expand the size of the history in this
>dosedit program?
>-- Alastair (Sandy) Phipps

First of all, I have a copy of "DOS Edit version 2", which is what I used
until I found CED.  The program is looking for a file that lists the
aliases.

Secondly, I posted CED a little while ago.  It is a superset (from a different
source) of the DOS_EDIT program.  The aliases work, and allow multiple commands
in the same alias -- it calls aliases synonoms.  The synonoms can be entered
via a file (using the -F option), or directly at a prompt ("ced syn something
somethingelse").

If you missed it, I can mail you (or anybody else) a copy directly,
documentation included.  I NEED YOUR UUCP ADDRESSES, I do not have APRA
access!!
					- bob
--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!	-- bob
(and "make" a few children while we're at it ...)