[net.micro] Warning! USRobuttocks Courier 2400 considered harmful!

Michael.Chepponis@C.CS.CMU.EDU (Mike Chepponis) (07/25/86)

I, too, have had bad luck with the US Robuttocks Courier 2400.  I received my
brand-new unit, and it worked just fine at 300 baud. At 1200 bits/sec, I just
couldn't believe the number of errors I was getting!  (I am used to  Vadic
modems...)  At 2400 bits/sec, there still were tons of errors.  A call to the
factory said "send it in".  Brand new.  OK, one week and $6 postage/insurance
later, I get it back, supposedly with new ROM installed, and errors are just as
bad as before!  I get pissed.  Customer Service guy says send it in, put his
name on package.  OK, 2 more weeks and another $6, I get it back with whole
insides swapped out.  Now, at least BER is down considerably, but geez!

I, too, bought one because of the many glowing reviews on this and other lists.

* * * * *  D O   N O T   B U Y   USRobuttocks   P R O D U C T S !!!  * * * * *

I now am the proud owner of a Vadic 2400V modem ($371 + 6% sales tax), which
not only worked right out of the box, but also I have yet to see even one
error on either 1200 or 2400 bits/sec, over all kinds of circuits.  I am VERY
pleased!   -Mike
-------

farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) (07/26/86)

In article <2558@brl-smoke.ARPA> Michael.Chepponis@C.CS.CMU.EDU (Mike Chepponis) writes:
>I, too, have had bad luck with the US Robuttocks Courier 2400.

And I have not.  One full year, VERY pleased.

>* * * * *  D O   N O T   B U Y   USRobuttocks   P R O D U C T S !!!  * * * * *

On the contrary, please do - I know too many people who have had nothing but
good results from their Couriers.  One glitch, although frustrating for the
individual involved, does not an incompetent company make.

--
----------------
Mike Farren

sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) (07/28/86)

(Mike Chepponis) writes:

> [missing stuff]
> * * * * *  D O   N O T   B U Y   USRobuttocks   P R O D U C T S !!!  * * * * *
> [missing stuff]

I have used a Courier 2400 for about nine months without any problems. The
price was right, it seems well designed, and the manual is good.  I recently
called their customer service number (800 DIAL USR) and asked for a ROM update.
They mailed me a new EPROM and a stamped mailer for the old EPROM at no
charge.  I have rarely experienced customer service as good.

I do not claim that the Courier 2400 will meet all needs, but it is not a
piece of junk as Mike Chepponis implied.
--
Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
  in the known universe. ]

lyourk@ihlpf.UUCP (Loran N. Yourk) (07/29/86)

> In article <2558@brl-smoke.ARPA> Michael.Chepponis@C.CS.CMU.EDU
> (Mike Chepponis) writes:
>
> > [missing stuff]
> > * * * * *  D O   N O T   B U Y   USRobuttocks   P R O D U C T S !!!  * * * * *
> > [missing stuff]

[more missing stuff]
... ... ... ... ... ... .. ... .. ..
> I do not claim that the Courier 2400 will meet all needs, but it is not a
> piece of junk as Mike Chepponis implied.
> --
> Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

I have had my Courier 2400 for 5 months; of those, it worked for one
month.  I had to send it in THREE times allready (just got it back
yesterday).  They said, when a modem is sent in three times they replace
the guts of them.  Each time, I wrote a more heated letter and nobody had
any response for them.

From what I have seen (I know of 4 other Courier modems in use), they
either work well or, as my experience, they are a piece of junk.
--
Loran N. Yourk                     ihnp4!ihlpf!lyourk

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (07/31/86)

In article <621@ihlpf.UUCP> lyourk@ihlpf.UUCP (Loran N. Yourk) writes:

>I have had my Courier 2400 for 5 months; of those, it worked for one
>month.  I had to send it in THREE times allready (just got it back
>yesterday).  They said, when a modem is sent in three times they replace
>the guts of them.  Each time, I wrote a more heated letter and nobody had
>any response for them.
>
>--
>Loran N. Yourk                     ihnp4!ihlpf!lyourk
>> [ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
>>   in the known universe. ]

I have (had) a Novation 212 Apple-Cat that went back three times...I'm
still waiting for it.  I wonder, is it standard practice to replace
modems after they've ben sent back three time?  Novation said they'd
send me a new one this time, but it's taken twice as long as when they
just "fixed" it.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumors
about Novation being sued by ATT...

Sean Kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad,hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (07/31/86)

In article <3495@amdahl.UUCP> sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) writes:
>In article <2558@brl-smoke.ARPA> Michael.Chepponis@C.CS.CMU.EDU
>(Mike Chepponis) writes:
>> [missing stuff]
>> * * * * *  D O   N O T   B U Y   USRobuttocks   P R O D U C T S !!!  * * * *
>> [missing stuff]
>
>I have used a Courier 2400 for about nine months without any problems. The
>price was right, it seems well designed, and the manual is good.
> [...]
>I do not claim that the Courier 2400 will meet all needs, but it is not a
>piece of junk as Mike Chepponis implied.
>-- Stephen J. Langdon

We here at Purdue's Engineering Computer Network have used about 30 or 40
USR Couriers for sometime now.  They were an upgrade from the old Hayes
1200s, and we generally have no problems with them.  In our area, GTE is
our local telephone service (after running through all the schools equipment),
and the long distance links are extremely noisy.  We don't ever seem to
experience the problems as described here.  In fact, all of our UUCP and
external network traffic runs through them.

At home I own a USR Password (1200/300 Auto-answer, Hayes commands), and
except for the speaker frizzing out, the modem works fine  --  sometimes I
can get a connection through when other people can't.   (who uses that ole
speaker anyway...)

Of all the modems that I have tried, I have better performance luck with
USR than Hayes, and both of those exceedingly better than any other.  I
just don't see why your egg was bad....

					- bob

Gee?  NO!....GTE, the twilight phone.  We've got you by the bells!!

--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!	-- bob
(and "make" a few children while we're at it ...)

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (08/01/86)

> In article <621@ihlpf.UUCP> lyourk@ihlpf.UUCP (Loran N. Yourk) writes:
> >
> >I have had my Courier 2400 for 5 months; of those, it worked for one
> >month.  I had to send it in THREE times allready (just got it back
> >yesterday).  They said, when a modem is sent in three times they replace
> >the guts of them.  Each time, I wrote a more heated letter and nobody had
> >any response for them.

I have had a Courier 2400 for about 8 months and have had no problems
with it.  I have found that when I connect to some systems, I get noise
I've found that if I hang up and call back immediately I usually get a
clear line.  If the connection is noisy, it is VERY noisy, when it is
not noisy, it works perfectly for hours of connect time.  I always
assumed that this was because of bad lines.  Indeed, some of the
different numbers on the dial in system I was using work better than
others.  Could this be the modem?  When did the new ROM appear in
production units?
  The system above was a 1200 baud system, the only 2400 baud system
I've connected to used another courier 2400 (worked fine, with a
little noise on rare occasions).

Rick Fincher
Rick@ncsuvm

zombie@voodoo.UUCP (08/01/86)

> I have (had) a Novation 212 Apple-Cat that went back three times...I'm
> still waiting for it.  I wonder, is it standard practice to replace
> modems after they've ben sent back three time?  Novation said they'd
> send me a new one this time, but it's taken twice as long as when they
> just "fixed" it.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumors
> about Novation being sued by ATT...
>

> Sean Kamath
> UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad,hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath

I have a Novation Smart Cat modem for my Macintosh.  It went back to the
factory three times.  They sent me a new modem (cable, documentation and
all) the third time.  I bought my modem in September, 1985, and finally
got a working one in April, 1986.  What really irked me was the first
two times they sent it back with EXACTLY the same problems I sent it in
with.

My modem works fine now.

Mike York
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!voodoo!zombie