[comp.lang.postscript] Question: How do I print a large PS file?

seg2@sunburn.Viewlogic.COM (Seg Consultant) (02/23/91)

I have a large (> 1 Meg.) postscript file that I would like to print on
an Apple Laserwriter IINT.  It comes back with the message -- "lpr: <filename>:
copy file is too large" -- and prints out only part (1 Meg?) of the file.
In terms of pages it prints out 52 of 58.  Is there an easy (or otherwise)
way of printing the remaining pages?  Or a way to break-up the file into
smaller-sized files?

Thanks,
_shankar_

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb22.160550@sunburn.Viewlogic.COM>, seg2@sunburn.Viewlogic.COM (Seg Consultant) writes:
    *  I have a large (> 1 Meg.) postscript file that I would like to
    *  print on an Apple Laserwriter IINT.  It comes back with the
    *  message -- "lpr: <filename>:  copy file is too large" -- and
    *  prints out only part (1 Meg?) of the file.  In terms of pages it
    *  prints out 52 of 58.  Is there an easy (or otherwise) way of
    *  printing the remaining pages?  Or a way to break-up the file into
    *  smaller-sized files?

lpr has a preset limit of around 1 Megabyte on the size of a file that
it will spool.  You can make this unlimited by setting the  mx#0  field
in your /etc/printcap file.

	........  Henry

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (02/23/91)

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:

> In article <1991Feb22.160550@sunburn.Viewlogic.COM>, seg2@sunburn.Viewlogic.C
>     *  I have a large (> 1 Meg.) postscript file that I would like to
>     *  print on an Apple Laserwriter IINT.  It comes back with the
>     *  message -- "lpr: <filename>:  copy file is too large" -- and
>
> lpr has a preset limit of around 1 Megabyte on the size of a file that
> it will spool.  You can make this unlimited by setting the  mx#0  field
> in your /etc/printcap file.

   I believe this limit always applies to a file sent to a remote system
for printing, even when the mx#0 entry is in the printcap. If you are
in this situation, you will need to copy the file manually to the lpr
host and print it from there.

   There may also be an option on your lpr to force it to not copy the
file. Do a 'man lpr' and look for a reference to copying.

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.160550@sunburn.Viewlogic.COM> seg2@sunburn.Viewlogic.COM (Seg Consultant) writes:
>I have a large (> 1 Meg.) postscript file that I would like to print on
>an Apple Laserwriter IINT.  It comes back with the message -- "lpr: <filename>:
>copy file is too large" -- and prints out only part (1 Meg?) of the file.
>In terms of pages it prints out 52 of 58.  Is there an easy (or otherwise)
>way of printing the remaining pages?  Or a way to break-up the file into
>smaller-sized files?

The -s option of lpr creates a symbolic link to the file.  This may solve
your problem.  It may also be faster because lpr wouldn't need to copy the
file.  Here's a bit of our (unix) man page for lpr:

     -s             Create a symbolic link from the spool area to
                    the  data  files  rather  than trying to copy
                    them (so large files can be  printed).   This
                    means  the  data files should not be modified
                    or removed  until  they  have  been  printed.
                    This  option  can be used to avoid truncating
                    files larger than the maximum given in the mx
                    capability of the printcap(5) entry.  -s only
                    prevents copies of  local  files  from  being
                    made.  Jobs from remote hosts are copied any-
                    way.  -s only works with named data files; if
                    the  lpr command is at the end of a pipeline,
                    the data is copied to the spool.

>Thanks,
>_shankar_

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

sutton@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Richard Sutton) (02/28/91)

do a man lpr & look at the -s option. works on a SparcStation I running
SunOS 4.0.3c at any rate.