[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript on a Mac

fozzy@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) (03/08/91)

I have two questions, both of which should be simple for some and I
thank those people in advance.

Background.
Here at work (we develop manufacturing production systems on unix,
vax and ibm mainframe boxes) we have some Macs that are used basically
for Office Automation applications, i.e. they have Word, Excell and
Macdraw on them and if anyone needs any sort of documentation done
they go and use these to do it on.  The people responsible for
supporting these do a good job of supporting these packages but
anything out of the ordinary they can't help with.
I want to do something out of the ordinary.
I enjoy postscript programming but use the Mac only really for writing
reports.  I'd consider my self fairly computer literate but Mac
illiterate.

Question 1
Can someone tell me how to save the output of one of these packages,
i.e. the postscript that would go to the laserjet, to a file which I
could then send up to one our vax boxes and print on the laser printer
there.
I have read here about something to do with pressing Command-F during
printing but I couldn't get it to work could someone explain it in
more detail, remember I'm a novice to Mac jargon.

Question 2
This is almost the reverse of question 1.  How can I send a straight
postscript file to a Laserwriter through a Mac?  I've got the file
"sendps.sit.hqx" from the adobe file server but I need BinHex 4.0 to
unpack it.  Will this work?  If so can someone either send me a copy
if it's PD or point me where I can get it from?  Does this
automatically make it an application or do I need to do something to
make the Mac realise its an executable rather than a data file.

Thanks again.

f85-bli@byse.nada.kth.se (Bengt Lidgard) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar8.054847.3329@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au> fozzy@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) writes:

>Question 1
>Can someone tell me how to save the output of one of these packages,
>i.e. the postscript that would go to the laserjet, to a file which I
>could then send up to one our vax boxes and print on the laser printer
>there.
>I have read here about something to do with pressing Command-F during
>printing but I couldn't get it to work could someone explain it in
>more detail, remember I'm a novice to Mac jargon.

Just after typing RETURN or clicking the OK-box in the last print menu,
you must, FAST as LIGHTNING, depress and hold Cmd-F!! This will give
you a file called Postscript#
(Cmd-K contains the AppleDict-(AppleTalk) laserprep file as well).
I posted a patched AppleDict laserprep last week to this newsgroup
(article number 6729 in reply to 6708.) (Apple copyright ?)

>Question 2
>This is almost the reverse of question 1.  How can I send a straight
>postscript file to a Laserwriter through a Mac?  I've got the file
>"sendps.sit.hqx" from the adobe file server but I need BinHex 4.0 to
>unpack it.  Will this work?  If so can someone either send me a copy
>if it's PD or point me where I can get it from?  Does this
>automatically make it an application or do I need to do something to
>make the Mac realise its an executable rather than a data file.

Not enough!
You need one of the best programs for the Mac: Stuffit (1.51 or Deluxe)
- bla.bla.hqx
means that the file has been converted to Hex (Stuffit can "reBINify" it)
- bla.sit
means that the file (bin) has been compressed with StuffIT.

If you get hold of Stuffit you can unpack YOUR file. (both operations)

I am told that the Adobe file-server will send you SENDPS.hqx.
In which case the program BinHex 4.0 will be enough.
Unfortunately I have no idea on how you send requests to Adobe!!

Advice: get hold of Stuffit !!!

Cheers,
Bob