[comp.lang.postscript] Type 1 font format

rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) (03/04/91)

I have a PS interpreter that doesn't understand the type 1 fonts
used in the eexec operator. How can I find out the format of
these fonts so that I can at least skip them in the PS?

Ross Rodney Cartlidge			    |   rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

mikeb@polari.UUCP (Mike Branch) (03/06/91)

In article <rossc.668044495@extro> rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) writes:
>I have a PS interpreter that doesn't understand the type 1 fonts
>used in the eexec operator. How can I find out the format of
>these fonts so that I can at least skip them in the PS?

I don't quite understand what you mean by "skipping" them.  Do you mean
you want your PS interpreter to ignore a request for a Type 1 font?
Hmmm, probably pretty sticky.

But, if you just want to examine a font file to see if it's Type 1, then
look for a line that says "/FontType 1 def".

The Adobe Type 1 Font Format book shows "%!FontType1-1.0 . . ." at the
start of the first line, but I wouldn't bet my life on seeing that in
every Type 1 font file.  The example I happen to have printed out right
in front of me doesn't have it, so I'd rather rely on /FontType 1 def
being there (usually within the first 30-40 lines of the file).

rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) (03/13/91)

mikeb@polari.UUCP (Mike Branch) writes:

>In article <rossc.668044495@extro> rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) writes:
>>I have a PS interpreter that doesn't understand the type 1 fonts
>>used in the eexec operator. How can I find out the format of
>>these fonts so that I can at least skip them in the PS?
>>
>I don't quite understand what you mean by "skipping" them.  Do you mean
>you want your PS interpreter to ignore a request for a Type 1 font?
>Hmmm, probably pretty sticky.

>But, if you just want to examine a font file to see if it's Type 1, then
>look for a line that says "/FontType 1 def".

I incorectly guessed that the eexec's were encoded fonts - I was completely
wrong. When I decrypted the eexec's I discovered that the Mac prologue
uses eexec to send cexecs to the printer - and cexecs are 68000 code -
so skipping them was a good idea. Mac LaserWriter drivers seem to produce
the worst PS I have ever seen.