[comp.lang.postscript] Retaining reused fonts & procs indefinitely

kalin@cbnewsm.att.com (andrew.j.kalinowitsch) (03/14/91)

We have an application for which a PS printer is being used exclusively
to print two different files, repeatedly, but not in any predetermined
order, and with indeterminate time lags between jobs.  Both files are
small ( < 8K ).  Our prime concern is generation time.  From a "cold"
start, either file prints in 45 seconds.  After that, the second and
all subsequent files print in 15 seconds (ideal) if we send them one-
after-the-other with a time lag of no more than 5-10 seconds.  However,
waiting longer than 5-10 seconds triggers some kind of timeout, after
which execution time returns to 45 seconds (side note:  we are not baud
rate limited).  We've tried messing with the printer-specific timeouts
(it's an IBM E), but no luck.  Now, we're no postscript gurus; (as I'm
sure is obvious to the many of you smirking as you read this :) )
we need a way to retain whatever font/proc info allows the printer
to generate subsequent pages so quickly.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

mzellers@starnet.uucp (Mark Zellers) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.185708.22003@cbnewsm.att.com> kalin@cbnewsm.att.com (andrew.j.kalinowitsch) writes:
>From a "cold" start, either file prints in 45 seconds.  After that, the second
>and all subsequent files print in 15 seconds (ideal) if we send them one-
>after-the-other with a time lag of no more than 5-10 seconds.  However,
>waiting longer than 5-10 seconds triggers some kind of timeout, after
>which execution time returns to 45 seconds (side note:  we are not baud
>rate limited).  We've tried messing with t

My guess is that you are using some fonts which are not in the font
cache.  After printing one job, the fonts are still in the cache.  Then,
the idle font-caching routine kicks in.  The newly cached fonts are
replaced by those on the default font caching list.  Take a look at the
"setidlefonts" operator in the Adobe PostScript Language Reference
Manual (the Red Book) or the manual that came with your printer.

Mark H. Zellers