[comp.lang.postscript] a plea

bukys@cs.rochester.edu (03/19/91)

This is a futile plea, I know, but here it is.

	Please stamp out bad PostScript generators.

It seems like half of the Postscript files my users pick up off the net
are unprintable.

Sub-pleas:

	Don't mark the file conformant if it's not.
	How many times have I pasted in a plain "%!" to prevent
	my spooler from trying to page-reverse (and hence mangle)
	a file that is really non-conformant.

	Don't use printer-specific features without testing for
	their existence.  My most recent specimen here was the
	use of "a4".

	Don't depend on a being able to do an "exitserver".
	Those Macintosh "LaserPrep" files are one of the most
	ill-conceived notions around.  Do they really save that much
	time?

	Don't put unnecessary memory allocation inside a loop.  I just
	ran across this:
		{ currentfile 1 string readhexstring pop } image
	which allocates a 1-byte string (in this case, 262144 times).

Thank you for listening.

john@IASTATE.EDU (Hascall John Paul) (03/19/91)

In article <9103191412.AA27314@stork.cs.rochester.edu>, bukys@cs.rochester.edu
writes:
> This is a futile plea, I know, but here it is.
>
> 	Please stamp out bad PostScript generators.
>
> It seems like half of the Postscript files my users pick up off the net
> are unprintable.

   Hear! Hear!  And many commercial applications are just as bad (almost
every ``PostScript'' file I've seen from a MAC application is unprintable
on anything but a LaserWriter).

   Another sub-plea:

       PLEASE put in NEWLINES at reasonable intervals!

--
John Hascall                        An ill-chosen word is the fool's messenger.
Project Vincent

curt@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Curt Welch) (03/20/91)

In article <9103191412.AA27314@stork.cs.rochester.edu> bukys@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>This is a futile plea, I know, but here it is.
>
>        Please stamp out bad PostScript generators.

Has anyone written a program to check PostScript files for these
types of problems?

I don't know PostScript well enough to know if this is feasible,
but it must be possible to do some of the checking you complain
about.

If you could write such a program, then your plea wouldn't be so
futile.

Curt Welch

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (03/20/91)

>       PLEASE put in NEWLINES at reasonable intervals!

I wrote a small program that 'wraps words' so that when I take the PostScript
output of the fig program it wouldn't smash up on my laserwriter.  This will
sidestep your problem.  The code is in both Pascal and C and available by
anonymous ftp from ncifcrf.gov in pub/delila.  Files ww.p.Z and ww.p.C are
compressed.

>John Hascall
>Project Vincent
>Iowa State University Computation Center john@iastate.edu
>Ames, IA  50011                          (515) 294-9551

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201