[comp.lang.postscript] Metafiles on NeXT

duchow@watnxt3.ucr.edu (John Duchowski) (03/15/91)

Hi there,

	I am running into problmes trying to print a "metafile" on a NeXT
laser printer.  Parts of the file (ca. 500 K) are included below.  It is
supposed to consist of four squares (a la some window frames) each of which
has a wire mesh graph depicting wavefunctions of coupled harmonic oscillators.
It comes from a book called Quantum Mechanics on Personal Computer.  According
to the instructions in the book, the files arew set up to work with a printer
using A4 paper which is what we are using (8.5 by 11).  However, all I get
is an image about the size of a *very* small postage stamp located in the
middle of a page.  To be sure, it is showing what it is supposed to show,
but it's pretty nearly impossible to view without a fairly large magnifying
glass.  Would anyone have any idea how I could fix this ?  Any hints and
or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks !

					 - John

P.S.
	I could send/ftp the entire file to anyone who's interested - just
didn't want to clutter up the net this time :-)
%!
initgraphics
/p {2.3622 mul setlinewidth
moveto /eoloop exch def 2 1 eoloop
{pop rlineto}for stroke}bind def
.1 .1 scale
1 setlinecap
1 setlinejoin
 0 323 -227 0 0 -323 227 0 0 0 6 2149 3368 1 p -227 0 0 0 3 2376
 3207 1 p 0 323 0 0 3 2262 3045 1 p 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0
 0 0 0 10 2296 3290 3 p 0 -1 0 0 3 2296 3291 3 p 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
 .
 .
 . about 6000 lines deleted
 .
 .
 -2 -2 1 -1 0 0 7 2170 3084 1 p 2 0 0 0 3 2164 3074 1 p -1 4 0 0 3
 2165 3072 1 p 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 -1 0 0 10 2162 3072 1 p
 0 -2 0 1 0 0 4 2162 3073 1 p
showpage

barker@Software.Mitel.COM (John Barker) (03/22/91)

In <12782@ucrmath.ucr.edu> John Duchowski writes:

>	I am running into problmes trying to print a "metafile" on a NeXT
>laser printer.  Parts of the file (ca. 500 K) are included below.  It is
>supposed to consist of four squares (a la some window frames) each of which
>has a wire mesh graph depicting wavefunctions of coupled harmonic oscillators.
>It comes from a book called Quantum Mechanics on Personal Computer.  According
>to the instructions in the book, the files arew set up to work with a printer
>using A4 paper which is what we are using (8.5 by 11).  However, all I get
>is an image about the size of a *very* small postage stamp located in the
>middle of a page.  To be sure, it is showing what it is supposed to show,
>but it's pretty nearly impossible to view without a fairly large magnifying
>glass.  Would anyone have any idea how I could fix this ?  Any hints and
>or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks !

Two points: first, A4 is NOT 8.5 by 11 inches, although it's close. It's
actually around 8.27 inches by 11.69 inches. No big deal, but it could
affect some positions on the page, depending on how those are calculated.

Second, in the sample code which followed, there is the line:

.1 .1 scale

This is the line which affects the size of the image on the page.
First try simply commenting it out (%). If it's still not big enough,
replace the .1 values with 2, 3 or 4 (or more). What basically has
happened from the sounds of it is the output is one TENTH the size
it should be.

--john