[comp.lang.postscript] ZapfDingbats

ccsdc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Dave Cunningham) (06/04/90)

We use Apple LaserWriters (NTX), Data Products LZR 1260, and a Compugraphics
9400PS typesetter. We use several software packages including Microsoft WORD 5
and our problem is that WORD files using Zapf Dingbats do not print correctly
on the 9400PS (Courier is substituted) although the same files print correctly
on the lasers. Other software (PageMaker, Ventura, SoftQuad(troff)) all
print Zapf Dingbats without problem when sent to the 9400PS. Anyone got any
idea why the combination of WORD/Dingbats/9400PS fails ?

On the subject of Zapf Dingbats, does anyone know why all the pointing
characters (arrows, hands, scissors, etc.) point to the right and why there
are no left pointing versions? I can only assume that you are expected to
use a mirror image version of the font but I have never seen this stated
anywhere. Its easy with a drawing package such as CorelDRAW to mirror a
character but most packages do not provide this facility.

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun4.134931.14882@gdt.bath.ac.uk> ccsdc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Dave Cunningham) writes:
>On the subject of Zapf Dingbats, does anyone know why all the pointing
>characters (arrows, hands, scissors, etc.) point to the right and why there
>are no left pointing versions? I can only assume that you are expected to
>use a mirror image version of the font but I have never seen this stated
>anywhere. Its easy with a drawing package such as CorelDRAW to mirror a
>character but most packages do not provide this facility.

I have always been told that this is because electronic type is based
on lead type and DingBats are from the box where the way to make a
left arrow into a right one was to turn it upside-down.
While this is very easy to do with small pieces of lead, it is
very difficult to do within a program that is designed to do page layout.
Maybe Adobe (or someone else) could release two DingBats. One called
RDingBat and one called LDingBat. One might also notice that all of the
graphics programs (at least for the PC) have arrows in the clip art files
and that the all point to the left. At least they all have "rotate" functions
built into them.

Clancy Mallot
AT&T Bell Labs
att!ihlpf!cem

hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun4.134931.14882@gdt.bath.ac.uk> ccsdc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Dave Cunningham) writes:
>On the subject of Zapf Dingbats, does anyone know why all the pointing
>characters (arrows, hands, scissors, etc.) point to the right and why there
>are no left pointing versions? I can only assume that you are expected to
>use a mirror image version of the font but I have never seen this stated
It's not hard in PostScript - just scale by -1 1.

I'd think that a real wizard could generate a custom font that was backwards.
It would use the same AFM information, etc.

--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 or  HWT@BNR.CA

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (06/11/90)

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:

>In article <1990Jun4.134931.14882@gdt.bath.ac.uk> ccsdc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Dave Cunningham) writes:
>>On the subject of Zapf Dingbats, does anyone know why all the pointing
>>characters (arrows, hands, scissors, etc.) point to the right and why there
>>are no left pointing versions?

Refer to the Macintosh Bible and the latest two addendums.  They
show how to access the left facing arrows and the missing numbers.
I believe that the way to do it was with some key sequences similar
to getting the accent characters above vowels.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
=                Applelink: N1111                                           =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/12/90)

In article <3461@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:
>
> >In article <1990Jun4.134931.14882@gdt.bath.ac.uk>
ccsdc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Dave Cunningham) writes:
> >>On the subject of Zapf Dingbats, does anyone know why all the pointing
> >>characters (arrows, hands, scissors, etc.) point to the right and why there
> >>are no left pointing versions?
>
> Refer to the Macintosh Bible and the latest two addendums.  They
> show how to access the left facing arrows and the missing numbers.
> I believe that the way to do it was with some key sequences similar
> to getting the accent characters above vowels.
While we're on this subject, I wonder why subset and subset or equal
symbols are mapped to characters which are hard to type, whereas
the less frequently used superset equivalents aren't. Could it be that
someone at Apple or Adobe (whoever was responsible for this ordering)
is left handed (another sinister plot)?

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

peram@cs.tamu.edu (Suresh B Peram) (03/20/91)

Hi,

   We have a postscript file which does not get
   printed on our lps20 laser writer because of
   lack of ZapfDingbats.  The same file prints
   fine on our QMS printers.  Does anyone know
   how this can be rectified ?

   Thank you very much ( in advance) .  Please
   e-mail responses if you don't mind.

Suresh

U12570@uicvm.uic.edu (u12570@uicvm.uic.edu) (03/21/91)

Unfortunately, ZapfDingBats is not one of the 29 fonts that come
standard with the DEC PostScript printers. If you need to print
your file on the DEC PrintServer 20 (eg. because of its Duplex
capabilities), you will have to buy the ITC Zapf Dingbats font
and download it to the printer in front of your document.

Most PostScript printers today, like the QMS, come standard with
a set of 35 fonts, including Zapf Dingbats. That is why the QMS
has no problems printing your document.

I think it is unfortunate that printers like those from DEC don't
come with the usual set of 35 fonts. I can understand having less
than 35 typefaces on inexpensive personal PostScript printers for
cost considerations, but not on the more expensive work-group type
output devices like the DEC PrintServers.

--- Ed Garay
    University of Illinois at Chicago, Computer Center
    Internet: u12570@uicvm.uic.edu     Bitnet: u12570@uicvm

hawley@adobe.COM (Steve Hawley) (03/22/91)

In article <91079.152149U12570@uicvm.uic.edu> U12570@uicvm.uic.edu (u12570@uicvm.uic.edu) writes:
>I think it is unfortunate that printers like those from DEC don't
>come with the usual set of 35 fonts. I can understand having less
>than 35 typefaces on inexpensive personal PostScript printers for
>cost considerations, but not on the more expensive work-group type
>output devices like the DEC PrintServers.

Actually, the new line of DEC printers recently released, which include the
LN05 and LN06, come with 43 fonts, including the LaserWriter 35 (sounds like a
dissident group in prison, eg, "free the LaserWriter 35!").

The LN05 is a simplex 8 ppm printer, the '06 a duplex 8 ppm.

At Seybold the LN07 was announced, which is a 4 ppm simplex printer which also
has the same 43 fonts as the other printers.

Steve Hawley
hawley@adobe.com
--
"Did you know that a cow was *MURDERED* to make that jacket?"
"Yes.    I didn't think there were any witnesses, so I guess I'll have to kill