[comp.lang.postscript] Making fonts

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (08/10/90)

I want to make a new font which is like Helvetica but has some characters
which are drawn by my own procedures instead of the procedures in the
font already.  I know this isn't that tricky, and is probably described
in the Blue book, but I don't have a copy right now.  Can someone send me
an example of how to do this?

Thanks,
	-- Jamie <jwz@lucid.com>

gasior@khazad-dum.rutgers.edu (Eric Gasior) (03/21/91)

I am wonering if there is some way to convert scanned images into a postscript
font. I want to do this on an MSDOS machine or on a Mac if the font can be
transferred. Before anyone complains about licensing and copyrights, I want
to do this from copies of medieval and Renaissance books and from copies
of ancient (Greek, Hebrew, Egyptian, Babylonian) inscriptions.

Thanks in advance

EDG

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (03/23/91)

gasior@khazad-dum.rutgers.edu (Eric Gasior) writes:

>I am wonering if there is some way to convert scanned images into a postscript
>font. I want to do this on an MSDOS machine or on a Mac if the font can be
>transferred. Before anyone complains about licensing and copyrights, I want
>to do this from copies of medieval and Renaissance books and from copies
>of ancient (Greek, Hebrew, Egyptian, Babylonian) inscriptions.

Sure there is.  There are two approaches I can think of:
1) Convert your scanned image into the Postscript 'imagemask' operation
	(method left as an exercise for the student) and incorporate
	the data and the 'imagemask' into a Type 3 font.  ('Image'
	would work, but it's illegal in a character that uses
	the font cache.)

2) Convert the scanned image into an outline with some sort of a tracing
	program (How about Illustrator) then it can be part of either
	a Type 1 or a Type 3 font program.

Some of the conversion can be done by printing the characters in a document,
and sending the document to a disk file instead of the printer.  Then there's
the tedious task of unscrambling the FontPrep stuff, but that's just work.

If you want an automatic way of doing these things, good luck!  However,
I wouldn't be surprised if some parts are already available in one or more
font creation tools now on the market.
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035