[comp.lang.postscript] Including PostScript inside Microsoft Word 4.0 document

gschudel@bbn.com (Gregg Schudel) (03/21/91)

does anyone know how to include a PostScript file inside a Microsoft
Word 4.0 document.  I read the manual, changed the font to Normal, 10
point, bold hidden, as stated in manual.  Then changed the first line to
.para.

this didn't seem to do anything.

looking for HELP !!! thanks

##  ######  ##############
##  ######  ##############      Gregg Schudel (gschudel@wash-vax.bbn.com)
##      ##      ##      ##      BBN Systems and Technologies
##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##      2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 906
##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##      Arlington,  VA  22202
##      ##      ##  ##  ##      (703).553.7182
##########################

brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (03/26/91)

In article <63354@bbn.BBN.COM> gschudel@wash-vax.bbn.com (Gregg Schudel) writes:
>does anyone know how to include a PostScript file inside a Microsoft
>Word 4.0 document.  I read the manual, changed the font to Normal, 10
>point, bold hidden, as stated in manual.  Then changed the first line to
>.para.
>
>this didn't seem to do anything.
>
>looking for HELP !!! thanks
>
>##  ######  ##############
>##  ######  ##############      Gregg Schudel (gschudel@wash-vax.bbn.com)
>##      ##      ##      ##      BBN Systems and Technologies
>##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##      2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 906
>##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##      Arlington,  VA  22202
>##      ##      ##  ##  ##      (703).553.7182
>##########################

	To send PS commands from Word, you must specify the PostScript style.
A style in Word is a set of formatting commands, however, some of them
(called automatic styles) have additional functions. One of these automatic
styles is called PostScript. It just happens to be 10pt bold hidden
normal-font text, but just setting these attributes without setting this
style won't text PS text.

	The automatic styles show up when you need them. Some, like
"footnote" are easy to get to: just open a footnote. PostScript must be
started by choosing Styles under the Format menu and typing in PostScript as
the style name to be selected. Click OK. Your current paragraph should be set
to 10pt bold hidden without any further ado.

	Check the styles list (again, open Format/Styles) and make sure that
the style name PostScript has a bullet next to it. The bullet means that a
style is an automatic style; if it isn't there, you probably typed the name
incorrectly. (Check the manual; I forget if they use two caps or one.)

	The PostScript style may be redefined like any other style and still
send its text to the PS interpreter. However, I'd suggest that you always
keep it as hidden text so you don't print the code directly as well as
executing it.

	Good luck!

Dave Brown (brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu)

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (03/26/91)

gschudel@bbn.com (Gregg Schudel) writes:

>does anyone know how to include a PostScript file inside a Microsoft
>Word 4.0 document.  I read the manual, changed the font to Normal, 10
>point, bold hidden, as stated in manual.  Then changed the first line to
>.para.

I will assume that you have some postscript code that you want
to include in your document, rather than ecapsulated postscript.
I know how to but ps into a word document but not eps.  Anyone
else want to take this on?

PostScript in Word Documents
============================
1) Paste the PS into the document.
2) Select the PS code.
3) Choose, "Define Styles..." from the Format menu.
4) Type "PostScript in the "Style:" box.  Click on Apply.
5) A window will ask if you wan to change this automatic
   style.  An automatic style is one that is pre-defined.
   The Postscript style is pre-defined.
6) Click on "no".
7) The selected text will change into Normal + Font:10 Point,
   Bold Hidden.  Normal font is 12 Point, Flush left.  This
   is based on an "out of the box" version of Word.

The text will now be downloaded to the printer to be interpreted
as Postscript but will not be printed.  You can hide the hidden
test by checking the appropriate check box in the Preferences...
window.

My favorite piece of PS code for MS Word is the following.  It
should be inbedded in the header (choose open header and then
paste this code into it.  It will print the word "PRELIMINARY"
is very light lettering underneath the text of your document.

gsave
.99 setgray
150 100 moveto
/Helvetica-Bold findfont 100 scalefont setfont
55 rotate
(PRELIMINARY) show
grestore

ENJOY!
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

chen@citrus.citr.uq.oz (G. Chen) (03/26/91)

gschudel@bbn.com (Gregg Schudel) writes:

>does anyone know how to include a PostScript file inside a Microsoft
>Word 4.0 document.  I read the manual, changed the font to Normal, 10
>point, bold hidden, as stated in manual.  Then changed the first line to
>.para.

>this didn't seem to do anything.

>looking for HELP !!! thanks

I had the same problem, however, when I removed the first line .page.,
I got the picture printed out!  It seems to me that the "group"
function is not working properly, not the postscript itself.

Anyone can offer some help? Thanks.

BTW: The paragraph IS formatted using "PostScript" style.

G.Chen, chen@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au

G. Chen, Centre for Information Technology Research, University of
Queensland, Australia 4072
chen@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au  Tel: +61 7 365 4325, Fax +61 7 365 4399