[comp.lang.postscript] Getting a Sample of Each Font on AppleLaser Wr. II.

phys59@jetson.uh.edu (03/26/91)

In article <16763@chopin.udel.edu>, jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
> Well.. here's the scanario:
>
> 	I have an Amiga 2000 at home running the word processor
> 	Excellence!. After typing up a documment, I print
> 	the file to a disk file with the postscript lang
> 	and then upload it to our sun-workstation network.
>
> 	After printing it, I notice that the fonts it has in
> 	ROM come out 5 billion times nicer than the Amiga
> 	fonts that need translation into ps.
>
> 	How can I get my Laserwriter (through the network)
> 	to print out a sample of EVERY font it knows in ROM
> 	and a few characters to see all the typestyles I
> 	can play with?
>
> Please reply thru here or mail and I appreciate your time.
>
> -jer
>
> --
> E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
>   Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-
>       \\ // 	          --->Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations<---
>        \X/                2001 Dalmations - My stars, its full of dogs...
Try sending it this:

initmatrix FontDirectory {pop dup findfont 12 scalefont setfont 50 string cvs
0 0 moveto show 0 15 translate} forall showpage

That little fragment of code should print out an unsorted list of up to 48
fonts.  With suitable modification, I suppose it could do more (That is left as
an exercise to the reader).
It works on POST version 1.5 for the Amiga, I haven't tested it on a
LaserWriter.
Ron Parker, phys59@jetson.uh.edu
sig held up pending FCC type acceptance

jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (03/26/91)

[...]

tim@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (03/27/91)

What follows is a somewhat better version (which I got from the Net quite
some time ago). Alas, the author's name has been lost in the shuffle.
For each font in the font dictionary, it displays the both the font name
and the entire 256 characters of the font in that font. Beware, this takes
on the order of 1 hour to print on a LaserWriter II with the standard 37 fonts.
Trim my "signature" from the bottom and all of this chaff from the top and
throw it at your PostScript laser printer, then come back in about 1.5 hours
(the extra time is to allow the long line of people, waiting for their
printout while your *long-duration* job was being processed, goes away. ;-)
%!  PostScript!
%

/Times-Roman findfont 10 scalefont setfont

/inch { 72 mul } def

/LM 1.0 inch def
/RM 7 inch def
/BM .5 inch def
/TM 10 inch def
/tmpstr 80 string def

/xpos LM def
/ypos TM def
xpos ypos moveto
/dy 18 def

/crlf
{
  /xpos LM def
  /ypos ypos dy sub def
  ypos BM lt
  { showpage /ypos TM def } if
  ypos xpos exch moveto
} def

/c-crlf { stringwidth pop currentpoint pop add RM gt { crlf } if } def

/c-show { dup c-crlf show } def

/putnum { tmpstr cvs c-show ( ) show } def

/puttype { type tmpstr cvs c-show ( ) show } def

/showfont
{
  crlf
  dup findfont 15 scalefont setfont
  tmpstr cvs show (:     ) show
  (ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ   ) c-show
  (abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz   ) c-show
  (0123456789   ) c-show
  (!"#$%&' ) c-show (\(\)*+,-./ ) c-show
  (:;<=>?@ ) c-show ([\\]^_` ) c-show
  ({|}~ ) c-show
  (                                ) tmpstr copy
  0 1 31 { tmpstr exch dup 8#240 add put } for tmpstr c-show
  0 1 31 { tmpstr exch dup 8#300 add put } for tmpstr c-show
  0 1 31 { tmpstr exch dup 8#340 add put } for tmpstr c-show
  crlf
} def

FontDirectory length (length = ) show putnum crlf crlf

FontDirectory
{pop showfont} forall

showpage
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax,attcan,watmath,...}!utzoo!dciem!tim