[comp.lang.postscript] Adobe Illustrator EPSF use of comments

bradlee@cg-atla.UUCP (Rob Bradlee) (03/15/91)

We have recently discovered that Adobe Illustrator EPSF files include
the Document Structuring Comment %%PageTrailer, but don't have
a corresponding %%Page.  The various specs don't say that
these two comments must be used in matched pairs but it seems
stronly implied by the examples of the "well-structured" document.
It confuses our post-processing software and I should think it might
wreak havoc with other post-processing software like page spoolers.
Any ideas on why it was done this way or comments on its correctness?

--
Rob Bradlee  w:(508)-658-5600 X5153  h:(617)-944-5595
AGFA Compugraphic Division.    ...!{decvax,samsung}!cg-atla!bradlee

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (03/16/91)

As I recall, the *only* comment required in an EPSF-2.0 conformant document
is a %%BoundingBox: comment, unless you're requiring certain fonts or some
such.

I suspect that EPSF docs don't need %%Page comments because by definition
they only generate marks on one output page.

-------
Christopher Tate          | "The soldier came knocking upon the Queen's door;
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu      |
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet       |                          -- Suzanne Vega

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (03/28/91)

In article <91074.154803CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher
Tate) writes:
> As I recall, the *only* comment required in an EPSF-2.0 conformant document
> is a %%BoundingBox: comment, unless you're requiring certain fonts or some
> such.

Ah, yes, but there is language in there that says something like "in general,
comments are not required, but if they are used, they must be used correctly."

Kind of circular advice, but it does point out that although something may
not be required, if it is present, it should conform to the spec.

> I suspect that EPSF docs don't need %%Page comments because by definition
> they only generate marks on one output page.

That's true.

I would opine that the %%PageTrailer comment shouldn't be there unless the
%%Page comment is, but I doubt it is made explicit in the spec.....

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers