[comp.lang.postscript] PS <=> HP PCL

jbeckley@qualcomm.com (Gumby) (02/27/91)

I'm looking for a translator from PostScript to HP PCL (not HP-GL).
I would prefer a version that runs on a PC, but UNIX is ok.  All I
need right now is PS -> HP PCL, but the reverse would be nice for
the future.

Thanx in advance!

	-- Jeff Beckley
EMail: jbeckley@lajolla.eng.uci.edu  VoiceMail: (619) 292-1156
       jbeckley@wizard.qualcomm.com             (714) 856-1654
       jbeckley@drzeus.qualcomm.com             (619) 587-1121

bijal@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Bijal Shah) (02/28/91)

/ hpopd:comp.lang.postscript / jbeckley@qualcomm.com (Gumby) / 12:41 am  Feb 27, 1991 /
I'm looking for a translator from PostScript to HP PCL (not HP-GL).
I would prefer a version that runs on a PC, but UNIX is ok.  All I
need right now is PS -> HP PCL, but the reverse would be nice for
the future.

Thanx in advance!

	-- Jeff Beckley
EMail: jbeckley@lajolla.eng.uci.edu  VoiceMail: (619) 292-1156
       jbeckley@wizard.qualcomm.com             (714) 856-1654
       jbeckley@drzeus.qualcomm.com             (619) 587-1121
----------

	Ghostscript

	Need I say more?

	Okay.  from hpseso.sde.hp.com in /from-outside-HP/<one of these>

				BJ

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (03/24/91)

>I'm looking for a translator from PostScript to HP PCL (not HP-GL).
>I would prefer a version that runs on a PC, but UNIX is ok.  All I
>need right now is PS -> HP PCL, but the reverse would be nice for
>the future.

You might want to check out GoScript from LaserGo, 619-450-4600,
fax: 619-450-9334.  It has handled most of the Postscript I've
throw at it with little trouble.  And with a megabyte of expanded
memory it's reasonably fast.

If you're interested in decent font output, and the ability to handle
the average Postscript that happens along I'd suggest you give Ghostscript
a pass.  It sounds like it might be more useable in the next release ...

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Hudson) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar24.015447.23868@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>If you're interested in decent font output, and the ability to handle
>the average Postscript that happens along I'd suggest you give Ghostscript
>a pass.  It sounds like it might be more useable in the next release ...

Thing is, when's that next release gonna come?  I've had nightmares here
trying to get Ghostscript running - it just doesn't like me. :(
--
Wayne Hudson                "Optimism:the belief that everything will work out
- umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca  fine. Irrational, bordering on insane" K9, Dr. Who